What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Down, inflight wing separation, Idaho

Status
Not open for further replies.
RV3

Kathryns report lists the N number as N177TT, built in 2006. Registered to an individual in Payette.

I just finished reading Kathryn's report as well as the FAA link. No mention of wing separation, but derived from witness accounts some sort of inflight separation/breakup may have occurred.

As always, sad news.

I believe that is the yellow open cockpit -3 that I have seen pictures of posted before. Sad news, and prayers for the family.

Kathryns report lists the N number as N177TT, built in 2006. Registered to an individual in Payette.

I believe that is the yellow open cockpit -3 that I have seen pictures of posted before. Sad news, and prayers for the family.

RV3%20Gene%20Wilkie%202-med.jpg

Condolences to the family.

Payette Idaho

Sheriff identified the pilot as Prescott "Gene" Wilkie. He was known by at least a few members of VAF and was a well known aviation enthusiast in his community.

To the family and friends of Gene, I'm very sorry for your loss.

My sympathies to the families involved.

The airplane is apparently registered as an RV-3, not a -3A or a -3B. The suffix applies to different structural changes from the original design. Still, it must be noted that the model designation that the FAA lists might have absolutely no bearing on the actual structural version of the airplane as it is now, as it could have been changed without being re-registered. I think.

Dave
RV-3B, now skinning the fuselage

Disagree. The RV-3 has short wings, and at the far end of the separated wing shown, at the far end is a strip of metal that looks very much like a wing to fuselage fairing strip. Can't say definitively, but it looks like the wing separated at the wing root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back