What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Pan Heater or not?

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
So looking for opinions on weather to stick an oil pan heater on my RV-4 or not.

Looking for and will consider all opinions.

X

Not meaning to be glib, but ....why not? If you live in a colder climate it provides an advantage for winter ops.

I have one (Reiff) on the O-320 on my Warrior and it keeps the engine at or above 50F when I cover the cowl with a blanket, even when the hangar is in the 10F range. I'd recommend it. I will be installing something similar on the RV-10 when I get to the engine installation, probably with cylinder heaters as well.

Considering things like condensation, how long to keep heat on? Timer?

I've Heard stories of it causing additional condensation inside the engine, but I thought I'd try to find more information on that. Do you leave it on all the time if you have one? What about putting it on a timer every day? Does the uneven heating of the engine during cold weather hurt any seals or gaskets?

X

Last edited:
Considering things like condensation, how long to keep heat on? Timer?

X

I have left it on for days/weeks at a time in the past. Once the temperature reaches a steady state in the engine compartment, condensation IMO is not really a problem. The water is in the oil anyway. If i were worried about it, say after a short flight in cold conditions when the oil never got above 180F for 1/2 hour or so, I would crack the oil filler cap open to allow venting.

I understand the concern with cyclic condensation in the engine by the mechanism of heating at the sump and cooling at the cylinders but frankly I run the engine enough in cold weather that I'm not too concerned. I reestablish the oil film in the cylinders frequently enough that a little "washing" by condensation is not really a mahor concern of mine.

If you are concerned, you might consider installing the cylinder heaters as well, which will even out the temperature gradient across the engine. Without a temperature gradient there would be no concern about cyclic evaporation/condensation at all.

Yes! For oil changes, if nothing else

I've found that if I want to do an oil change, it sure helps to use the oil pan heater to warm up the oil so that it flows better.

Of course some pilots simply go flying. If you don't do that, this is a practical approach. I've been doing it for several years now.

Dave

Good idea...

My experience. My airplane is spoiled and spends the winter in S. Florida. Returning back to Canada last spring we ran into some chilly weather. After an overnight in Virginia the morning temp was around 30F and the 0-360 in my 4 would not start after repeated attempts. I don't have a primer.
Someone in the FBO asked if I had a Reif sump heater? Yes I do.
Plugged it in for 15 minutes and it started right up.
I'm a believer.

dessicant

I've heard stories of it causing additional condensation inside the engine...
I know a guy who uses an aquarium pump and a container of desiccant to circulate dry air through the crankcase. In the exhaust stack and out the oil filler tube. Seems like overkill to me if you change the oil every 25 hrs and fly at least every 2 weeks.

At the risk of sounding snarky.....there are BTUs of threads in the archives about using a sump heater...this topic gets heated discussion every winter.... ;)

A bit of research in the archives will provide abundant info (and opinions).

I run a sump heater on my O-320 24/7 from December through March. The plane is in an enclosed hangar in north Alabama. The RV-6 thinks it is spending the winter in Florida.

My experience. My airplane is spoiled and spends the winter in S. Florida. Returning back to Canada last spring we ran into some chilly weather. After an overnight in Virginia the morning temp was around 30F and the 0-360 in my 4 would not start after repeated attempts. I don't have a primer.
Someone in the FBO asked if I had a Reif sump heater? Yes I do.
Plugged it in for 15 minutes and it started right up.
I'm a believer.

I am experiencing the same thing. Darn Lycomings/clone don't want to start when it's not preheated. I do have a solenoid primer feeding 3 cylinders but find it worthless (maybe I'll pull it out someday). I blow hot air into the engine cowl with a 1500watt space heater ducted into the exhaust opening. Heats everything and afterwards no problem starting.

Jim
RV9a

Oil sump heater

Tinker you cheap a** airline pilot just go buy one!! I have one and it works great as stated above. I don't have it on all the time. Turn it on the day before when it's chili. And how do I I turn it on? With a Switchbox remote app from my cellphone of course. While drinking my coffee. In my house.....

LOL.
Oly, I bought one and was getting ready to install it, but I was having second thoughts. My plane starts on the second blade nearly every time. Just trying to minimize unnecessary wear.

X

Back