What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DYNON heated pitot ideas

cbennet1

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Planning to install in my 6 in the near future and although it seems straight forward, whenever I see others installations of devices I also have, there is almost always great ideas that did not occur to me!

So if you’ve installed the DYNON pitot in your 6, please share any tips and even better pics of your install.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

That heated pitot and especially the mast that it requires is a pretty robust piece of equipment. I'm no airplane mechanic, but I'd be uncomfortable mounting it on an inspection plate. The mast on mine is mounted secured to an adjacent rib and the spar. It's very rigid.

(I didn't install it..it was put in by a previous A&P a few years ago. I was looking at it closely as I was after-the-fact attaching an AOA line).

Attachments

• dynon.PNG
    dynon.PNG
    338.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
That heated pitot and especially the mast that it requires is a pretty robust piece of equipment. I'm no airplane mechanic, but I'd be uncomfortable mounting it on an inspection plate. The mast on mine is mounted secured to an adjacent rib and the spar. It's very rigid.
SNIP

+1
Install along the same lines as the photo.

Carl

+1 for installing on a cover. Yes, a doubler will be needed to stiffen the plate. The method for installing in the photo above is more robust, assuming you are still building the wings.

inspection plate strength

If one is concerned with the strength of the inspection plate which has a bunch of screws holding it in place anyway. Just make a new one out of .040 instead of the standard wing .025? And if that isn't enough add a doubler to it. Makes for easy access and service.
Art

Thanks!

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I had read the installation instructions which specifies an approach as described by MacCool. Since my 6 is built I was leaning towards the alternate approach of mounting to the access panel and with the suggestions in this thread, I feel better about that approach.

Thanks again!
Craig

Did you do it yet?

Hey cbennet1, did you tackle this yet? I'll be doing mine soon, and was looking to see how yours went?

Thanks,
Eric

Another opinion.

VAF is full of them.
Mounting on inspection cover - NOT for me. U take that off at least every annual. It’s gonna dangle. Could disrupt the fittings. Possibly leak now.
I like mine solidly mounted NEXT to the inspection cover. Doesn’t move. Accessible if need be.
Now pick.

TW

Hey cbennet1, did you tackle this yet? I'll be doing mine soon, and was looking to see how yours went?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

I have not. I am finishing up my CI and others squawks/upgrades took up too much time. But it is at the top of the endless list and I suspect that I will go for the near, but not on the access panel.

I will endeavor to update this post with my finished work for those few that could possibly benefit. :)

Craig

(I didn't install it..it was put in by a previous A&P a few years ago. I was looking at it closely as I was after-the-fact attaching an AOA line).

Data point: my Dynon pitot is mounted to the inspection plate on my Rocket and sees 235 KIAS (and more) on a regular basis. Same airfoil as a -6, same pitot, MUCH faster. No issues.

Correcting an error

OK I posted earlier that mounting on an inspection plate was ok. Well I just put a new AOA Dynon pitot in my RV-6A and I didn't do that. It was easy to install in the proper place per instructions in the box.
I did pull the left tank to provide a route for the new lines and wiring.
That is to small of a space to take pictures in except the tank removed to install the conduit for wires and running the two pitot lines.
Good luck. Tanks pulling isn't as big a deal as most people make it out to be.
Art

Tank

I have to remove my tank anyway, got a leak I'm trying to track down. I'll try and follow the instructions as best as I can. I'll take some pics while I'm in there, if you have any, I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Eric

Take a look at my pictures for my 6A in the KitLog link below. Shows how I mounted the Dynon heated pitot and ran all of the associated tubing (AOA) down the wing. Yes, you will have to remove the tank. Like said before, not that big of a deal. Makes for a clean install.

Pictures of flying airplane Dynon AOA pitot install.
Art

Attachments

• IMG_0470[1].jpg
    IMG_0470[1].jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0436[1].jpg
    IMG_0436[1].jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0475[1].jpg
    IMG_0475[1].jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 229
Ok can't send you the picture of the controller install but it is in the bay just forward of the pitot. When the tank is off you'll see an area to put it on a rib. I just about pulled out my last few hairs finding a place for it next to the pitot.
I actually used self tapping sheet metal screw to install it. I know it is a sin to speak of that method.
Art

Abwaldal, thanks to the pictures. Does the Pitot interfere with the tie down in that location? That would be the issue on my RV6A.

FWIW, I attached mine to the inspection panel, mounting the controller on the backside. It’s solid as a rock, and has worked well.

Pitot v/s tie down situation

Yes it is close. Could cause a problem if you don't pay attention to the rope angle. Just move plane over a bit.
My plane lives in a hangar so no problems at home.
I'm careful when away. And I won't tie down if a tornado is on it way to me. Fly somewhere else.
Close but I don't care cause the heated pitot with AOA is real nice.
Art

Pictures attached

Attachments

• 1EEA0315-70F9-4726-8DE6-9D5BC81EF5EE.jpg
    1EEA0315-70F9-4726-8DE6-9D5BC81EF5EE.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 124
  • FD144781-B1CD-48D8-B422-A3C07C3A285F.jpg
    FD144781-B1CD-48D8-B422-A3C07C3A285F.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Back