What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips Needed for Fitting Wings to Fuselage for the First Time

Hi,

I'm working on the flight controls so it's time to fit the wings to the fuselage for the first time. I looked for a thread on this topic but my search skills failed me. I'd appreciate someone pointing me to the topic.

Best,
Harry

What I did

- check that each wing on its own fits, take note of the wing where the spar is located for each wing on the bushing and the way the spar looks when both pins are in. This will really help you when aligning later

- make sure you have two people

- the person at the university end of the wing needs to know that they will need to make small adjustments for raising and lowering the wing and slightly forward and back to get the angle correct

- the first few times you will need to “rock” the wing carefully from side to side to get through the slight resistance of the sealing etc

- sight down the pin channels to line up the wings, knowing that you will need to raise / lower or move side to side to align.

- grease your pins and have a soft head mallet available, firm taps back will be required but it’s really just taps anything more and something is wrong

I Really, really had lots of help from large straps. I fitted the wings on my own, and couldn't have done it without.
Especially the 'second round': after applying the rubber. Pushing in the rubber by one man is un-doable. Get yourself straps.

I ended up trimming the inboard skin edge to get the spars fully inserted because the skin contacted the fuselage before the spar tabs seated. Julian is right about greasing the pins. Makes things much easier.

I don't know if it applies to your plane but I made the mistake of pushing the bolts right home as I inserted them and then had to get some back to enable a nut and washer to go on the forward side. I have seen this on other builds, including a Sonex. It can be hard to get something onto the bolt to push it back.

No

I don't know if it applies to your plane but I made the mistake of pushing the bolts right home as I inserted them and then had to get some back to enable a nut and washer to go on the forward side. I have seen this on other builds, including a Sonex. It can be hard to get something onto the bolt to push it back.
Mornin’...they’re discussing the RV-12 here, which does NOT have wing attach bolts, but large pins.

Cheers,

Back