What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Speeds

quinnjim

I just put an RV-6A under contract. It has the O-360 Lycoming.

Does anyone know what the speeds are?

Vx,Vy, Best glide and final approach speeds?

I’m not sure if these speeds are different for each plane (I’m new to Experimental aircraft).

Welcome to the dark side! Experimental aviation is the best, but please please please get some instruction by either an RV instructor or at least someone experienced with experimentals. Your question shows your inexperience, while these numbers are good to know, the more experienced pilot would talk with the previous owner and review the manual or numbers that the original builder hopefully found during his 40 hour phase 1. This is not me insulting you, and please don’t take it as talking down to you, I just want you to succeed in this!

The speeds you are looking for vary from plane to plane. Constant speed props can climb at lower air speeds because they can make full RPM (and full hp potential) at the slower speeds and more efficient AOA. Fixed pitch props may be set up for cruise speed in most RVs, and need higher airspeeds to develop higher RPM. That’s why the fixed pitch crowd typically stay in ground effect till 120 knots or more before climbing out. Also cylinder cooling may be an issue if attempting to climb out at a low Vx speed. I think you’ll find climbing at 120 should be about right, and if the trees at the end of the runway start to get big, you can always pitch up to clear them.
As for glides, again, the type of propeller probably has a much bigger impact than differences in airplane construction.
Please take the time to learn about experimentals, their restrictions, limitations and differences from the certified aircraft that you have been flying with. Learn where your aircrafts “operating limitations” are, what they say, and where you are supposed to keep them. (I see so many people who lock them away safely in their logbooks at home)

Should be able to click on each image to get larger size, hope this helps as a starting point for you.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 1.50.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 1.50.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 1.51.07 PM.png

I’m not sure if these speeds are different for each plane (I’m new to Experimental aircraft).

The PoH should have this information.

Like the others said, get some transition training from an RV-knowledgeable instructor. It was a minimum requirement for my insurance company, but, in any case, I am REALLY glad I did this. I ended up doing double the minimum and still feel like I could have used some more training.

If you're used to certificated piston singles, the RV is going to feel very different. In a good way.

Welcome to the dark side! Experimental aviation is the best, but please please please get some instruction by either an RV instructor or at least someone experienced with experimentals. Your question shows your inexperience, while these numbers are good to know, the more experienced pilot would talk with the previous owner and review the manual or numbers that the original builder hopefully found during his 40 hour phase 1. This is not me insulting you, and please don’t take it as talking down to you, I just want you to succeed in this!

The speeds you are looking for vary from plane to plane. Constant speed props can climb at lower air speeds because they can make full RPM (and full hp potential) at the slower speeds and more efficient AOA. Fixed pitch props may be set up for cruise speed in most RVs, and need higher airspeeds to develop higher RPM. That’s why the fixed pitch crowd typically stay in ground effect till 120 knots or more before climbing out. Also cylinder cooling may be an issue if attempting to climb out at a low Vx speed. I think you’ll find climbing at 120 should be about right, and if the trees at the end of the runway start to get big, you can always pitch up to clear them.
As for glides, again, the type of propeller probably has a much bigger impact than differences in airplane construction.
Please take the time to learn about experimentals, their restrictions, limitations and differences from the certified aircraft that you have been flying with. Learn where your aircrafts “operating limitations” are, what they say, and where you are supposed to keep them. (I see so many people who lock them away safely in their logbooks at home)

Thanks.

I’ve been flying for over 30 years. ATP, CFII, 20,000+ hours.

There is always something new to learn when trying different aircraft. I thought some basic V speeds would be a good place to start. I’ve flown everything from a J-3 Cub to 767’s. If you fly the proper speeds, they all do OK.

I plan on getting together with an RV instructor for a few hours. Asking about relevant V speeds is NOT an indication of my lack of experience. Quite the opposite.

It’s kind of funny to ask a pretty basic question and have several guys suggest I’m inexperienced.

Welcome to the RV flying fraternity.
Sorry if I set the tone of responses earlier, but not all new RV owners come with your discipline & skillset.
Hope you get many enjoyable hours out of your new RV.

Should be able to click on each image to get larger size, hope this helps as a starting point for you.

I also have an RV-6A with an IO 360 and constant speed prop (hartzell) and think these numbers should get you pretty close for your airplane.

Welcome to the RV flying fraternity.
Sorry if I set the tone of responses earlier, but not all new RV owners come with your discipline & skillset.
Hope you get many enjoyable hours out of your new RV.

Thanks Ralph! I just sold my Cirrus and can honestly say I’m more excited about this RV than I have been about any of my other airplanes. Speed, great visibility, economy AND the ability to go upside down!

I can’t wait.

It’s kind of funny to ask a pretty basic question and have several guys suggest I’m inexperienced.

We have a special knack for doing that......try not to take it personally. :D

Congratulations on your new toy, you are going to really enjoy it!

We have a special knack for doing that......try not to take it personally. :D

Congratulations on your new toy, you are going to really enjoy it!

I appreciate it, Sam.

The great community surrounding these planes is one of the reasons I’m interested in flying them.

All the suggestions come from a good place (being concerned for my safety).

Thanks.

There is always something new to learn when trying different aircraft. I thought some basic V speeds would be a good place to start. I’ve flown everything from a J-3 Cub to 767’s. If you fly the proper speeds, they all do OK.

I plan on getting together with an RV instructor for a few hours. Asking about relevant V speeds is NOT an indication of my lack of experience. Quite the opposite.

Again, welcome to the club! Yes these planes fly great when they are flown at the proper speeds, and I didn't mean to insult your experience or skills. By thinking you are inexperienced, I didn't mean in all aviation, but perhaps in experimental and little planes. Sounds like you are off to a good start and please follow up with what you think of the -6 after you get a little time in it! You'll love it!

RV Speeds

Welcome to the brotherhood, you’re gonna love it! With your background and understanding of airships you’ll do fine! I had about 400 Tailwheel hours before I bought my RV-4. My insurance company requested the standard flight hours but in the 4 it’s hard because it’s not full dual controls in mine. Rode around the patch for “visual” flight check and my instructor released me, haven’t looked back! Now I have flown many of the RV numbers and have loved them all, and just got a 6A. It needs some work but as an IA, that’s about as easy a flying them! Now you're in for some fun, ENJOY!

John,
Please don’t be offended by experience related comments. Everyone is really just trying to help. As you know, your airline experience doesn’t necessarily translate directly to non-certified responsive aircraft, and that is clearly why you asked the questions about speeds. A stabilized approach is just as important in these RV’s as any other airplane. The numbers you were given will keep you safe, and you will most likely modify them after you fly your new bird. Every RV I’ve owned has been a little different in terms of actual speeds, due to equipment, CG, and aerodynamic build quality, but they all “felt” about the same - at least the short wing two seaters. When I first started flying RV’s, I found it helped to use my finger tips on the stick, rather than my initial full fisted death grip. You’ve flown the 767 simulator, so you know what I’m saying.
You’ve made a good choice with an RV6A. You’ll love the way it flys.

Last edited:
John,
Please don’t be offended by experience related comments. Everyone is really just trying to help. As you know, your airline experience doesn’t necessarily translate directly to non-certified responsive aircraft, and that is clearly why you asked the questions about speeds. A stabilized approach is just as important in these RV’s as any other airplane. The numbers you were given will keep you safe, and you will most likely modify them after you fly your new bird. Every RV I’ve owned has been a little different in terms of actual speeds, due to equipment, CG, and aerodynamic build quality, but they all “felt” about the same - at least the short wing two seaters. When I first started flying RV’s, I found it helped to use my finger tips on the stick, rather than my initial full fisted death grip. You’ve flown the 767 simulator, so you know what I’m saying.
You’ve made a good choice with an RV6A. You’ll love the way it flys.

I appreciate the information.

I’ll get a few hours in an RV-7 before I pick mine up. My first trip is from SFO to Chicago, so I’ll have 11 hours in the 6A in the first two days!

Assuming the ASI is accurate ...
Final approach at 70kt.
Climb at anywhere between 90kt and 115kt it doesn't make much difference to climb rate, faster is usually better for engine cooling and visibility.
Glide at around 90kt.

It took me much longer than I had expected to learn to land a 6A well. One of the key points for me is to aim for 70kt, within 2kt, on the approach.
That takes some work as most short wing RVs are not speed stable with full flap.
Faster is too much float, slower means it will drop out the sky on round out (or needs a lot of power).
Climb and glide speeds do depend on the type of prop fitted - c/s or fixed and type of fixed.

Pete
(around 900hrs in a 6A)

It took me much longer than I had expected to learn to land a 6A well. One of the key points for me is to aim for 70kt, within 2kt, on the approach.
That takes some work as most short wing RVs are not speed stable with full flap.
Faster is too much float, slower means it will drop out the sky on round out (or needs a lot of power).

I have found too fast always produces a bad landing as the float makes me want to set it down before it is ready resulting in a bounce. Let it land when it wants to land. Also key to the correct touchdown speed is, at least for fixed pitch, is getting your idle RPM set low enough. High idle RPMs cause long floats and high probability of a bounce. The short low wing in ground effect flares pretty good and if you get the height right (and are on speed) provides a very soft landing every time.

One other point, I have found that the best, and my opinion only, way to correct a bounce is to add power and go around. These gear are pretty springy and one bounce almost always results in several more.

Last edited:
One thing to watch for is the decent vs speed. You will find that on final approach speeds that as little as 10 MPH can make a significant difference in your sink rate. Not dangerous, just something look for and use to you advantage.

I have a 6 and a 10 based in Schaumburg and often go to 3CK for fuel. Feel free to reach out for any help or tips.

Larry

The 6A is a very easy airplane to fly and land. I use 70-75 kts, on final and prefer landing with half flap unless you need full flap for a short runway. Climb 85-110 knots depending on prop, OAT, temps and over the nose visibility.

Best glide 85-90 knots depending on prop.

Watch the sink rate below 65 knots with full flap.

Nose high in the flare, you never want to wheelbarrow a 6A as the nose gear doesn't take kindly to abuse.

That's it, have fun!

Depending how much of your time is in light aircraft and how recent it is the RV6/6A is a very easy aircraft to fly.. The 6A is capable of shorter takeoffs and landings because its capable of higher angles of attack....in my opinion. Treat the nose gear like a taxi gear, within 2 seconds on takeoff you should have the nose gear off and hold it off on landing until you can't. It will operate just fine in gravel and grass but keep it away from rough strips. Approach speed for average use is best at 70 knots and for short strips 65 works fine with a tad of power. Stall speed on ours is 50 knots, kinda a nothing sandwich. Very well designed aircraft and very predictable. I taught aerobatics for years and its delightful for gentleman's inside maneuvers, again very predictable. Ours has the IO-320 with constant speed and we can count on right around 165 knots at 10,000 feet so it's a great cross country machine as well. Having owned over 30 aircraft in the last 50 years it certainly rates as one of my all time favorites.:)

Depending how much of your time is in light aircraft and how recent it is the RV6/6A is a very easy aircraft to fly.. The 6A is capable of shorter takeoffs and landings because its capable of higher angles of attack....in my opinion. Treat the nose gear like a taxi gear, within 2 seconds on takeoff you should have the nose gear off and hold it off on landing until you can't. It will operate just fine in gravel and grass but keep it away from rough strips. Approach speed for average use is best at 70 knots and for short strips 65 works fine with a tad of power. Stall speed on ours is 50 knots, kinda a nothing sandwich. Very well designed aircraft and very predictable. I taught aerobatics for years and its delightful for gentleman's inside maneuvers, again very predictable. Ours has the IO-320 with constant speed and we can count on right around 165 knots at 10,000 feet so it's a great cross country machine as well. Having owned over 30 aircraft in the last 50 years it certainly rates as one of my all time favorites.:)

Great information. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Thanks.

In my experience the guys with the least experience always give the most advice. With that said, you will love the RV, they are just fun to fly. Period.

I'll 2nd this one! Seems to vry a little with each reply I have read but this one seems to be the closest to my experience with the plane.

I bought my 6a around May and have put about 400+ hours on it with the vast majority being long cross countries, with lots of T&G at various airports around the country! Tail # is N99PZ flight aware will back it all up. lol...

Anyway- I have landed the RV in all configurations Flaps full/half/ and none. Grass strips, Dirt strips, rough strips (not at all advisable) short and long strips. I have bounced the **** out of it a couple of times (Nose gear doesn't like it) and now mostly do butter landings - of course.

I practice getting the nose off the ground 6" asap and keeping it there until I rotate. I don't climb out at low speeds, (while it can) I find climbing out at "blue line" (118knts) gives me the best "cooling" and 1000+' a min which is good enough for me. On landing; I practice stabilized approaches and being fully configured and stabilized on final as if doing an IFR approach. 80 knots (full flaps) and come across the # about 10 knots slower. I flair and keep the plane in ground effect about 8-10" off the run way until the mains touch down and then keep the nose off the ground until speed dictates.

When I 1st started I had an "Idea" of what the previous owner used for his numbers. However the 1st thing I did was go out and do power on and power off stalls and I quickly found out my plane stalls at 55knts and how she handles. Get in and do some stalls, then play and find out what #'s works best for your plane. Seems they all vary- either because of the flyer or the build. I also found lot's of information on "YouTube" and I'll admit I learned how to land and fly that plane using it. No transition training... (Yup- I said it and admit it.) lol... The plane is actually that easy to fly. I just have to laugh when others flamed you for asking about the #'s, because if you know those #'s this plane really isn't as complicated as "those" others tried to make it sound!

By the way; I have an O-360 w/ C/S prop.

Have fun! You'll love it! Feel free to stop in Colorado (and say Hi)on your way from SFO.

Last edited:
Back