What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with firewall oil cooler mounting

dwranda

Well Known Member
I have a bracket that the flange of the cooler will rest on. Should I run a bracket from the forward edge of the cooler to the firewall or would an adel clamp be good enough hooked to the engine mount where you can see the piece of foam in the pic?
20191124-102541.jpg

20191124-102440.jpg

I typically use two pieces of 0.063? 3/4? x 3/4? aluminum angle on the firewall (so each aft oil cooler flange is connected), and a single adel clamp on the engine mount to secure the forward oil cooler bottom flange. This may require a short bracket to make the angle work to the adel clamp.

Recommend the firewall angle have some structure behind it, not just the SS firewall material. For you this would translate to the firewall angles being long enough so the ends attach to the cabin side vertical and slanted angles.

Carl

I typically use two pieces of 0.063? 3/4? x 3/4? aluminum angle on the firewall (so each aft oil cooler flange is connected), and a single adel clamp on the engine mount to secure the forward oil cooler bottom flange. This may require a short bracket to make the angle work to the adel clamp.

Recommend the firewall angle have some structure behind it, not just the SS firewall material. For you this would translate to the firewall angles being long enough so the ends attach to the cabin side vertical and slanted angles.

Carl

What about a doubler on the aft firewall as well? Just thinking out loud...there are doublers for the contactors, and the oil cooler is a pretty heavy thing.

I?ve been working on mounting the RV-10 oil cooler mount. It seems like a good way to go. I had to modify it since I used an 11 row oil cooler in preparation for my IOX-370. It took a little bit of moving it around to find the best spot but otherwise it worked pretty well.

Here is how I did it on my RV-10 and the new RV-8 project.

Looking at the Van's firewall oil cooler mount I decided the airflow bouncing off the firewall, then through the cooler, then again changing direction to exit was not optimal. I have no data to support this, but I have never had any excessive oil temp problems with this setup. This setup is harder to fit (can only go in this one spot) so undecided if I do this or the standard Van's firewall mount on the next RV-10 build.

The first photo was taken before adding the forward cooler flange to engine mount adel clamp.

The last photo is the RV-8 cooler setup. I never liked the idea of a heavy cooler mounted on the baffles.

Note the AirFlow Systems oil coolers. I prefer and recommend this product.

Carl
Oil-Cooler-mount-1.jpg

Oil-Cooler-Mount.jpg

20191027-152343.jpg

Oil Cooler

I think I would be concerned about stresses due to engine mount vibration if I tied the cooler with an adel on the mount & a bracket on the firewall. Just my $.02

RV10 mount

How I did it.
Have u thought about how to drain that quart of dirty oil out of the cooler at oil change time ?? I had Pacific Oil Cooler add a 1/4? drain plug on the bottom of the tank. 440+ hours with temps at a constant 185.

Back