What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Sealant Breakdown?

We have been flying our RV7 for less than a year and have out around 30 hours on her. Our RV is a 'quick build' with the fuel tanks pre built.

On our last flight the fuel pressure started to drop. When we reduced manifold pressure the fuel pressure increased. After landing we looked at the fuel injection fuel filter (in the fuel distribution block on top of the engine (she is a FADEC engine). The fuel filter was full of what appeared to be a grey sediment. We cleaned out the filter and noticed after checking the fuel drains that mainly in the left tank there was a very fine sediment on the sides of the fuel 'checking bowl'.

We drained the left tank. Looking through the fuel filler hole you could see very fine grey sediment on the bottom of the tank (the same colour as the tank sealant. It was also very obvious that around each rivet in the fuel tank that the sealant had disappeared in a ring around the rivet.

I can only conclude that the fuel tank sealant is breaking down into fine particles and blocking the fuel filter.

Has anyone else either had this problem or heard of it happening to anyone else? Next port of call is Vans on Monday.

Many thanks

Mark

That shouldn't happen.

When I built my tanks 5 or 6 years ago I made some aluminum to aluminum bond samples with each mix and have stored them in a jar of gas ever since. There is no break down so far and the aluminum lap samples are still very well stuck.

I was thinking the other day that I should have made some samples to leave in air since the tanks have been dry since I built them :)

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Ever so close to first flight!

We have been flying our RV7 for less than a year and have out around 30 hours on her. Our RV is a 'quick build' with the fuel tanks pre built.

On our last flight the fuel pressure started to drop. When we reduced manifold pressure the fuel pressure increased. After landing we looked at the fuel injection fuel filter (in the fuel distribution block on top of the engine (she is a FADEC engine). The fuel filter was full of what appeared to be a grey sediment. We cleaned out the filter and noticed after checking the fuel drains that mainly in the left tank there was a very fine sediment on the sides of the fuel 'checking bowl'.

We drained the left tank. Looking through the fuel filler hole you could see very fine grey sediment on the bottom of the tank (the same colour as the tank sealant. It was also very obvious that around each rivet in the fuel tank that the sealant had disappeared in a ring around the rivet.

I can only conclude that the fuel tank sealant is breaking down into fine particles and blocking the fuel filter.

Has anyone else either had this problem or heard of it happening to anyone else? Next port of call is Vans on Monday.

Many thanks

Mark
Did you ever conclude what happened here? I'm finding similar "stuff" in my right tank on the RV-6. Fuel pick up was totally clogged. I blew it out and found that grey matter come out the drain. Hope you can shart some insight here. Thanks, Gary N38GK New Hampshire

Tank Sealant

It sounds like the mix ratio was off on the sealant. Cured Proseal is closer to black then grey.:confused:

Did you ever conclude what happened here? I'm finding similar "stuff" in my right tank on the RV-6. Fuel pick up was totally clogged. I blew it out and found that grey matter come out the drain. Hope you can shart some insight here. Thanks, Gary N38GK New Hampshire

I suggest some research using one of the other threads that are here in the forums.
Here is one with some relevant info.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=190571&highlight=Sealant+reversion

Back