What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time to build an RV10

Orca

I was told by a RV owner last week, while filling up my 172 (Flying Club)
This is the best place to get a realistic estimate on time to build an RV 10.
Next year I’ll be retiring from my airline job, and lots of time on my hands.
Any good estimates . Quick Build kit. Thanks

Welcome. Lots on info on Vans website.

Short answer is it depends. Fast is 4 years. Slow is 10+. Average is probably 5-8 years. Quick build will shave 2ish years off the build.

I have a friend who built his -10 in 22 months - but he admits that he "didn't have a life" during the build....

-Marc

Last edited:
6 Years here

I took 6 years - logged ~2000 hrs. with quick build wings.
Basically equivalent to 1+years of a full time job with no time off or vacation. A labor of love...

My first build, QB wings and fuse.......I’m 3 1/2 years in and expect to fly in 1 year. I do know a builder who did his second 10 in 2 years with QB wings. He’s now on his third. I hope he isn’t finished that before I am.

Welcome to VAF

Greg, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

However long it takes------------it will be worth it.

Buy mine.

Mornin’ guys,
Buy mine and go flying RIGHT NOW!

It’s fully sorted, IFR ready and comfy at 200 MPH TAS! Front and rear seat heat, Vizion autopilot and a strong Aerosport built, IO-540!

Regards,

It took me 4.5 years to build mine. All slow build kits. I averaged about 450-500 hours per year. Never went more than a few days without working on it unless I was out of town for work. Toward the end, I was working on it daily to get it done.

Welcome. Lots on info on Vans website.

Short answer is it depends. Fast is 4 years. Slow is 10+. Average is probably 5-8 years. Quick build will shave 2ish years off the build.

It depends if you are talking about actual effort or calendar time. Recently the quick builds delays are long enough that you can build the standard build while you would have been waiting and save you some money. I have a friend that took over a year to get his quick build fuselage recently.

The best way to avoid the delays is to order all the quick build kits at the time you start the empennage. The downfall is that also requires paying for all the kits up front.

The real answer is dependent on how many hours a week you devote to the project. I know some retired builders that were able to complete in two years, but they treated it like a full time job.

I spent 3,200 hours build mine over a six year period for a standard build. I also had two surgical procedures and got laid off during the build. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

Time

Data point: 8 years and close to 3000 hours.

Never missed a kid's soccer game or band concert or any other family function.

I finished mine in about 1.5 years. I overhauled the engine, did all wiring/avionics and painted it in that time, as well as making several custom parts. I am retired and pretty much worked on it 7 days a week with various deviations for projects around the house (kids gone or in college). Mine was a QB and I did not build the emp and this was my second plane, which makes a pretty big difference in efficiency.

Larry

Last edited:
I started 12/19/2019. I already have 700 hours of construction completed. Started attaching my first wing last night. Engine coming in March. Panel in July.
I expect to be in the air in late 2021.
But I've taken every advantage allowed. QB wings and fuselage. Planning on a pre-wired panel from Stein.
And a global pandemic has kept me out of the office and not traveling for work, allowing me to put in 2-4 hours almost every single day since March.
I also share a hangar with two A&Ps and an A-320 captain, and I have an EAA TC and an IA/A&P in the hangar next to me. So, I'm getting advice and guidance almost constantly. This website and a great community around me has kept me motivated and on pace, with lots of help when I need it.
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Back