What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360-EXP oil filter

swjohnsey

Well Known Member
Got a RV-4 with IO-360-EXP from Ly-Con. It had a Tempest AA48110-2 oil filter on it and I replaced it with the same when I changed oil. This is the oil filter with the male thread. I was wonder if I could convert it to use female thread filters so I could use the K&N 10002 Filter.

Got a RV-4 with IO-360-EXP from Ly-Con. It had a Tempest AA48110-2 oil filter on it and I replaced it with the same when I changed oil. This is the oil filter with the male thread. I was wonder if I could convert it to use female thread filters so I could use the K&N 10002 Filter.

Easy enough. I've done it a few times. Go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a male/male threaded steal pipe, a few inches long. I don't remember the thread size, take a K&N filter with you for sizing. Install in the adapter with some red loctite... You're ready for the K&N filter.

Easy enough. I've done it a few times. Go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a male/male threaded steal pipe, a few inches long. I don't remember the thread size, take a K&N filter with you for sizing. Install in the adapter with some red loctite... You're ready for the K&N filter.

Thanks! :D

This is a straight threaded nipple, not NPT. Don't think HD is going to have a 2" straight threaded nipple, though they might. Just be carefull in the plumbing isle as it is likely 100% NPT. You can find these at summit racing or ebay. I don't remember the thread size (might be 3/4-18), but it is standard and the same as the automotive standard. These special nipples also have serrations/knurling in the threads about an inch in so that you can tighten them into the filter housing. This way, the nipple won't come out with the filter. They are under $5.00

Your current filter has a similar nipple, though they used the knurled threads or sometimes a step flange to hold the nipple in the filter. If you are creative, you can get this out of the filter and use it on the housing.

Larry

Last edited:
I must have gotten luck, I found them at Lowes or Home Depot, don't remember now. Either way... That's all you need.

They are 3/4-16. It's a fine bolt thread. I have pulled them out of a filter by double nutting it. But you need a thin nut.

Oil filter swaps

One cautionary note : Oil filter adapters with the male thread require filters with an internal bypass valve while oil filter adapters with a female thread have the bypass valve built into the adapter. Switching filter threaded ends bypasses this safety compatibility feature.

Maybe...

This Derale 98021 13/16"-16 Filter Nipple may be what you are looking for. If not, it will give you an idea of what to search for.

41D%2BvuCthGL._AC_.jpg

One cautionary note : Oil filter adapters with the male thread require filters with an internal bypass valve while oil filter adapters with a female thread have the bypass valve built into the adapter. Switching filter threaded ends bypasses this safety compatibility feature.

Not all of the male thread adapters require a filter with bypass. The single-drive Dual-Mag engines have a bypass valve and male threads.

Dual Mag engines

Not all of the male thread adapters require a filter with bypass. The single-drive Dual-Mag engines have a bypass valve and male threads.
You are correct.
I didn?t include them because they don?t use oil filter adapters. In there unique case they are integral with the accessory drive housing. Makes you wonder why Lycoming didn?t make all there Accessory cases that way. 🤔

Back