What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-submarine belt retrofit

findane

I opted not to order the crotch strap bracket when I built my 9A fuselage. At the time 5 point harness was seemed unnecessary. After reading several post I'm rethinking my decision. How difficult is it to add the crotch bracket now that the fuselage is completed? Is there another bracket option other than Van's

I opted not to order the crotch strap bracket when I built my 9A fuselage. At the time 5 point harness was seemed unnecessary. After reading several post I'm rethinking my decision. How difficult is it to add the crotch bracket now that the fuselage is completed? Is there another bracket option other than Van's

With the stick system installed it will add to the fun, but not terrible. They are positioned in front of the riveted seat pans under the removable front sections and attached with blind rivets.

XtQJcUcNNtxoPlSlC1jOzQZzL5B52uVP2muQm5-qGluNlIQ56VxWkEwtbUqGTBKj6XDIvM2FUoYtF_RVKpRW62CD3lOUm5kamW7FiwNyKMxwLIfDk7WPdNQfDHIv0SVqzwhMZb8TWcBgqvefzw_xJJNvUs1Urx3u7aIlpuJCyRCMYlSXCPYnNACjSWwVdTqr7V8Aw2fPjJUUtzY6S0aoFI4rldyQGGdAGGZpRu_ST9Nhi8gUHnvstU1PcVO7yt6s5USLMc8mxcoA_gdr97AIujd3ZeCctHIxhRTzOZKBlx5qsLJxqsUtZQrd7E4CrBV_yO4NavK_OHBOpq-Q48wqJ14QKzPuunAw6EfUcVW0zEhh05IZkBe-2NAH0p1cRBs3BwElNkY4aT830ttM9hcLCo9od7T_gVaThQ_HJBoYTkDML879zofg1zn-SCz8sjSc6jQxq4E0Hxr3QJoAKn4WqghDNNtpw0hmjqni_T1hvVzi-cT6VVuJxcxgKGiFFoah3-PFgFkThUq_jEUZzx0p8iJtjFHB3zb8DXdnWkbZ3Y66BKIDQthpkmZM9T5Kx3rY5YvhmPukm5Xz3IcxDUP3IZlzgUk03hxD5MsRq4oZ1jTl1j3o-mg_GHuDreQF38IawPSkmo1u4aaG5fOLbvppjvTJgoNqWxs=w1251-h938-no

Last edited:
Piece of cake before the fuselage center section is assembled, but probably not too difficult to retrofit. The hardest part will probably be match drilling the brackets to the floor ribs. You?ll need a low profile right angle drill to get in there. You?ll also have to blind rivet them in place unless you have an alligator squeezer with fairly deep jaws. One thing to watch for is that not all crotch strap fittings are the same thickness, so make sure to install the brackets to fit yours.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...project=2052&category=7420&log=185023&row=231

Just as an FYI, the purpose of the crotch strap is not to prevent you from sliding under the lap belt (submarining), but rather just to keep the lap belt properly positioned, low on the hips.

erich

It also reduces vertical motion of your body somewhat in turbulence....helps to keep your head from hitting the canopy!

Back