What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Difference in a vernatherm and Thermostatic Bypass Valves

blueflyer

Well Known Member
I have an 0-360-A1F6 Engine. My oil temps are running high at 200 and my oil pressure is running low at 60 in cruise flights at rpms way back at 2250-2300. This has just cropped up in the past couple of hours. prior to this my temps were at 185, and my pressure was somewhere around 70. Granted, the ambient temps are higher now, but there is clearly something going on here.

From reading past posts, one thing to check is the vernatherm or Thermostatic Bypass Valve. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Thermostatic Bypass Valve and the vernatherm??

Chief sells a Vernatherm Thermostatic oil cooler bypass valve P/N# 53E22144

Air Power Inc sells a Vernatherm Valve Assembly part # 53E22144

Aircraft Spruce sells a Thermostatic Bypass Valves part # SL53E19600

Aircraft Specialties sells a VERNATHERM - Valve - SL53E19600

Here is a pic of what both parts look like!

o8S.jpg

check instruments first. Hard to say if two issues are related. However, a sudden 10* drop in oil pressure is a serious warning and not of good things. Assuming the pressure instrumentation can be validated, something is going on in your engine and it needs to be found. I would no longer fly a plane that showed an overnight pressure drop of 10 PSI until I knew the reason for it. Some reasons for reduced pressure are no safety threat nor require immediate attention and some are ticking bombs; You need to know which it is. oil temp going from 185 to 200 should have no meaningful impact on pressure.

The vernatherm won't affect pressure, unless the oil cooler has a blockage issue and then only at temps above 180. If it did have a blockage significant engough to reduce flow, you wouldn't be seeing 185 or 200 oil temps in the summer at 65% cruise power. They would be much higher.

You can start with the easy stuff first - blockage in inlet screen or debris in the pressure relief ball/seat.

Your concern should be on the pressure and not the 15* increase in cruise temps.

Larry

Last edited:
same thing

Blueflyer -
to address your question, you're seeing two names for the same function. Which one you'd use depends what your original set-up is/ what you're replacing.
HOWEVER, other poster has a point: unless you are seeing a fault in gauges or senders or circuit, the likelihood is that the temp rise is not causing the pressure drop. Instead, suspect a third element affecting both.
For example: multi-vis oil, or straight-weight? Light [80] vs summer [100]? Low volume? Leaks? Oil pump output? Dirty pressure valve? Blocked oil cooler [air OR oil]? Lines - bulging/ kinking/ failing?
Start with the simple ones and then graduate to the more abstruse... Fingers crossed for you.

If your Vernatherm is failing, the oil temperature could increase. Hot oil is less viscous and tends to cause reduced oil pressure.
You could take out your Vernatherm, put it in a pan of water with a thermometer, and start heating it on the stove. Then you can witness the temp that the valve operates. If it's OK, save your money and look somewhere else for your problem, like blocked airflow thru the cooler etc.
Warning, some wives may not appreciate the use of her pans and stove....:rolleyes:

Back