What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap motor for RV-10

Was a little frustrated after my brushs in the flap motor, Ametek failed. Does anyone know where to repace the brushes or motor other than Vans? They want 418.00 for motor!

Randy Means
RV 10 120 hours
On a normally perfect plane.

Use the force...

Try using the search function, there has been repeated discussion about flap motors.

Be sure you reset the search time frame from last year to any date.

Flap motor

The fine folks at Ametek International came through and over nighted me two sets of brushes at no charge. They could not have been more helpful.
Randy Means
Merritt Island
N595RV
RV10

Part number?

Randy,
would you be so kind as to let us know the part number when you get the brushes.
I have not heard from anyone needing replacement brushes for the 10 but it was quite common for some of the other models.
Thanks.

Replacement flap motor

Allied Electronics has both 12 and 24v motors. Usher manufacturing will press on a worm gear onto a 24v motor if you purchase it from Allied and send it to them.

As avionics get more sophisticated and demandind especially for -10's, 24 volts may be the preferable option. Andair will make 24v pump on special order. Great service from Owen.

Keep it simple

On the other hand, you could just replace a set of brushes for less than $10 dollars. It's highly unlikely that you will need a new motor, much less a 24V motor.:confused:

Carbon Brushes

The part number is 23-78-5. Back flying again. Distrubutor informed me that the brushes become issues if they are exposed to heat either from the motor running long period of time or the location they are placed in. I have had to change my limiting switch posititon to insure the motor shuts off. Many opinions on this topic.
Randy Means
N595RV
RV10 -Yellow Bird

The part number is 23-78-5. Back flying again. Distrubutor informed me that the brushes become issues if they are exposed to heat either from the motor running long period of time or the location they are placed in. I have had to change my limiting switch posititon to insure the motor shuts off. Many opinions on this topic.
Randy Means
N595RV
RV10 -Yellow Bird

I'm with Ernst on keeping a spare set of brushes (and brake pads for that matter) in the tool bag.

I never have been much of a fan of the Showplanes controller than Van sells because of that reason.

I decided to swap it for the Reflex-Plus, though I still put a idiot light on the annunciation panel to show me when the motor is running.

Flap motor

Does anyone know a supplier and part number for just the worm gear. I have a spare motor but no worm gear. Thanks

Back