What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ammeter wire

Doug94

Well Known Member
I'm hoping that I can get some guidance from the builders that have gone before me... I have the original Vans Alternator, not plane power, and am wiring for a Dynon Skyview and the Dynon 60 amp Shunt.

1. What size wire should be used from the altenator to the shunt and shunt to the soleinoid. The shunt is on the firewall adjacent to the relay.

2. Can the wire from the ammeter run next to the CHT/EGT probe wires down the engine mount?

Thanks

Need more info

What size alternator is it? Where is the solenoid?

I have a 60 amp alternator and used 6AWG wire from there to the shunt, and from the shunt to a 60 amp breaker on the main battery buss. That total distance is about 6 feet. If I had to go all the way to the rear of the aircraft I would have used a larger gauge.

If you have a 40amp alternator, you could probably use 8AWG, but even if it is a 40 amp, changing to a 60 in the future may be something to consider.

AC43.13-1b list a 80 amp breaker for 6AWG and a 50 amp breaker for 8AWG. Also see Table 11-9 for wire sizes in bundles.

I don't see any reason why you should not route the shunt wires with the EGT/CHT wires. There shouldn't be any pulses or RF on those lines so coupling would be minimal.

Don

Back