What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pushing flight plan in ForeFlight to G3X

Leopold

Hi, folks,

New RV8 owner, coming up from a J3 Cub so my avionics skills are -- charitably -- barely present. Have taken some good transition training and can do the basics on my Garmin G3X Touch / Garmin GTN 625 GPS (those are connected I believe somehow) but could not figure out how to take a flight plan on ForeFlight on my iPad or iPhone and push it to the avionics on the G3X.

I searched the threads but could not find the answer.

Sure is fun to fly! Glad to be in the family.

Thanks,

Seth Leopold

I push the flight plans to the GTN 625 which syncs to the G3X but I expect it is similar with just the G3X. In my case, the trick is my ipad does not automatically connect to the G3X (don?t know why since it does to the GTX 45R). Anyway, once I connect, a new icon appears in foreflight in the top bar. I click it, it asks if I want to send the flight plan to the panel or pull it from the panel. After I send, the message flashes on the GTN and I have to accept and load the incoming flight plan. Hope that helps.

Garmin Pilot

I used Foreflight for a couple of years before I put the RV9 in service with the same equipment GTN and G3X. I switched to Garmin Pilot because it displays the same icon menus and provides smooth seemliness interaction between the iPad and the panel. Transfers flight plans automatically.

Once you get past the different ways of interacting with the iPad you find both Foreflight and Garmin Pilot do the same job. Some folks find the the switch over to difficult and rationalize Garmin Pilot is lacking when they haven't really spent time and effort to learn it.

I push the flight plans to the GTN 625 which syncs to the G3X but I expect it is similar with just the G3X. In my case, the trick is my ipad does not automatically connect to the G3X (don?t know why since it does to the GTX 45R). Anyway, once I connect, a new icon appears in foreflight in the top bar. I click it, it asks if I want to send the flight plan to the panel or pull it from the panel. After I send, the message flashes on the GTN and I have to accept and load the incoming flight plan. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much! That sounds like the trick. I will give it a try. I thought it involved going through the GTN625 but couldn't crack the code. Sounds right.

Much appreciated!

Seth

In the "Pilot?s Guide to FOREFLIGHT MOBILE, see pages starting at 356, "Garmin Connext". And what you are specifically looking for is found on pages 359 & 360".

The G3X features built-in Connext wireless technology for flight plan transfers.

Carl, that's great.I've downloaded that PDF and will look at those pages. Between this suggestion and the other one I just got, I'm sure I will sort this out!

Many thanks,

Seth

I think there are two ways to do it. If you have the G3X Touch, you can transfer directly to the G3X, and then push to the GTN. The only way to push direct to the GTN is if you have the FlightStream unit.

Once you sync your iPad to the G3X, make sure it’s in always discoverable mode. Then each time you boot up, they will see each other. Then, if you have a flight plan set on your iPad, you will see the icon on the tool bar, press to transfer to the G3X, acknowledge it on the screen, you’re done.

Also, make any changes either on the G3 or the pad during the flight, say you change on the G3X, it will send it to the iPad and it will ask if you want to accept the change to the iPad. The reverse is true, if you change the iPad en-route, the G3X will ask if you want the change.

Connext Interface

I think there are two ways to do it. If you have the G3X Touch, you can transfer directly to the G3X, and then push to the GTN. The only way to push direct to the GTN is if you have the FlightStream unit.

This is correct, the G3X Touch can act as a 'relay' between the GTN 650 and a portable device, via Bluetooth. This does require that a second RS232 connection be made between PFD1 and the GTN 650, using the Connext RS232 format.

The Flightstream would allow you to send flight plans to the GTN as well, but that capability already exists in the G3X Touch display so It would not be necessary in this type of installation.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Back