What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon and SA maps

Speedbird1

Hello -

Can someone please tell me the difference between the US aviation database that Dynon provides and the Seattle Avionics paid maps? I?ve read the the Dynon updates keep you FAA current; however, I?m wonder what the SA maps will add and I can?t see to find a clear answer.

TIA

Dynon and SA Maps

I have a Dynon Skyview HDX. I use only the Dynon provided data. My understanding is that the Seattle Avionics data will give you actual charts, sectional, low altitude, approach plates, whatever you decide to buy.

I have been flying my RV-12 since February. I have found that the Dynon provided data gives me everything I need. I don't see the need for sectional charts on the Skyview.

I do also fly with an iPad and I have FlyQ on it and it has sectional charts. So I have a Sectional Chart in the aircraft.

That is exactly right. The Seattle avionics subscriptionnis fornthe actual sectionals. I have that info on my iPad already, and I typically find myself using the Dynon map anyway. It is much less cluttered.

This may be a good issue for a Poll. I have not used sectional charts for a couple of years now. I use the maps on the EFIS and the aeronautical maps on a ForeFlight. I use approach plates, but no FAA or Jeppesen charts. I have never used IFR charts in my 2,200 hours of flying, much of it IFR.

I have always maintained the chart subscription. But, I found I don’t use them as much as I first thought. For IFR I print out the approach plates for the trip. I keep up the subscription to:
- Have the approach plates, SIDS, STARS, Airport diagrams and such in case I get diverted.
- Have the IFR and Sectional charts to look at during cruise dead time.

Yep - Foreflight on the iPad has this as well but I find using the iPad in flight, when you really need it, to be very problematic. Considering the $99 a year cost (I just got a lifetime subscription for $350) I consider this a reasonable value.

Carl

The lifetime subscription from Seattle avionics is a great deal if you intend to keep flying with the same equipment.

Vic

The digital aviation and obstacle data that we make available at no charge on our website enables SkyView to draw airports, airspaces, and obstacles on the map. It's also the data that allows SkyView to be "aware" of all of these entities so that you can flight plan and pull up detailed info on all of the above entities. Other free databases that you install from our website include regional terrain data (draws the topographical background on the map, enables synthetic vision, and gives SkyView awareness of ground elevation to determine things like AGL) and basemap (draws major roads and rivers over the terrain background).

In contrast, the map subscription from Seattle Avionics and other providers (primarily outside the US) are digitized versions of the paper VFR and IFR charts (sectional, IFR Low, and IFR High) . They are georeferenced so that when you turn them on, they appear over SkyView's own map aligned in the right places. While the digital data has fairly comprehensive information (and often more than a sectional when it comes to airport remarks, additional airport frequencies, etc), the charts often have information that doesn't neatly package into the databases. Examples of this are special procedure VFR routings through class B airspace, or notes about nonstandard flight rules areas or special features of airspaces. The Seattle Avionics subscription also includes georeferenced FAA and SA-produced airport diagrams for ~5000 airports.

In contrast, the map subscription from Seattle Avionics and other providers (primarily outside the US) are digitized versions of the paper VFR and IFR charts (sectional, IFR Low, and IFR High) . They are georeferenced so that when you turn them on, they appear over SkyView's own map aligned in the right places. ...The Seattle Avionics subscription also includes georeferenced FAA and SA-produced airport diagrams for ~5000 airports.

SA data also includes georeferenced approach plates. (Although I *hate* the user interface on their application software, the data is freaking *awesome*).

SA data also includes georeferenced approach plates. (Although I *hate* the user interface on their application software, the data is freaking *awesome*).

Agreed. The data is terrific - the distribution method is awful.

Back