What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Book ? Aircraft Wiring Guide

MCA

Well Known Member
Advertiser
[ed. Marc is a new advertiser here (ad starts Friday 2/20). Thank you Marc!!! v/r,dr]

The Aircraft Wiring Guide is a new book available for us homebuilders that explains the ins and outs of wiring a modern experimental aircraft. If you’re building, maintaining, upgrading, or repairing an experimental-category aircraft, this book can help you uncover the mysteries of aircraft wiring.

After talking to thousands of fellow homebuilders and giving many presentations at fly-ins around the country, I realized there was a need for information to design and build the newer, more complex electrical systems found in modern aircraft. The Aircraft Wiring Guide takes that experience and condenses it into 85 pages of useful information and guidance. It covers both traditional electrical wiring and the Vertical Power system.

awg-front-cover-tiltx300.png

You can visit the Aircraft Wiring Guide web site here for more details and order a copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommended

I thought I was all set with the AeroElectric Connection, but given how great the writing is in the VPX manuals, I ordered a copy.

In my opinion, Marc writes very succinctly, clearly, and effectively communicates what you need to know, and why.

Having read through a draft of Marc's book, I can tell you that it clearly answers many of the basic wiring questions that the average builder (without extensive aircraft wiring experience) would have - I think it will be a great resource, especially for those who don't have a Tech Counselor handy to show them the ropes....I mean, the wires.....

Paul

Rich -

No plans for an ebook. I intentionally went paper as I believe, for this application, you'll want to write notes in the margins, modify the drawings, and have it handy amongst a pile of wires and rivets. :)

Way to go Marc. :) An excellent follow on from the VP-X & other systems you produced. I'll buy one as I believe we can all learn something new.:D

Jake J

I bought one even though my plane is finished.
I think it will be a good resource for future updates to the panel and to review what I have already completed.

Wiring book

Hi Marc: i've tried several times to buy the book without having my information saved, and this does not seem to be possible. Am I missing something? I even tried the phone number and just got an email back which was not helpful. Let me know if I can order it without leaving any permanent record at Lulu. Thanks in advance Marc. Bill Dicus

Bill,

I don't know the inner workings of Lulu (our printing partner) but it seems they need the standard billing, shipping and credit card information. I understand your concern about safeguarding your information - perhaps you have a friend who can order it, then you pay him cash?

Don't forget the discount!

I've ordered one of these books and found a 15% off Lulu coupon code: GETIT15
That payed the shipping and then some! :)

Thanks for this info, Mel! I'm quite a ways away from wiring, but have been looking for something like this to begin learning some basics. 1 order placed.

Ordered and at the Right time

Can't wait for my copy to arrive. I am about to begin the daunting wiring task and your books comes at the right time. And based on the way the excerpt reads, its definitely a winner. Thanks Marc. (Thanks Airmel for the e-coupon.)

Marc,

Just ordered your book. Looking forward to your help with understanding the stuff behind my panel and elsewhere about my plane. Obviously, I didn't build my -7 -- but I SURE LOVE FLYING IT!

Ordered and used the code

Thanks Melinda! Used the code and discount more than paid for shipping

ebook?

Including an ebook with the physical copy would be awesome. I travel for work and reading through aec, garmin manuals, etc are a great way to pass the time on those long transcons.

Aviation Wiring Guide

I am ordering this too, even though I am done (for now) with my RV8, there will be "questions"!
Thanks,
Paul Collins
N8ZV

Rich -

No plans for an ebook. I intentionally went paper as I believe, for this application, you'll want to write notes in the margins, modify the drawings, and have it handy amongst a pile of wires and rivets. :)

You'll sell more as an ebook. I keep all my pubs, manuals, installation guides, etc on my iPad. I always have them available and they are searchable. I'd love to buy a copy, and I know I'm not the only one.

E-book

You'll sell more as an ebook. I keep all my pubs, manuals, installation guides, etc on my iPad. I always have them available and they are searchable. I'd love to buy a copy, and I know I'm not the only one.

I agree...
I've just ordered the paper copy but would love to have it on my iPad as well to read through it when I'm away from home my regular trips together with other useful e-books.

Alain.

+1 ebook / .pdf

I also just ordered a copy (thanks for going to the effort to write this book). I would have loved the option for a digital copy as well. Perhaps a .pdf for use on an iPad or Android Nexus 9? I completely agree with your assertion that a paper copy for reference whilst working on the aircraft is excellent. I find I don't carry paper anything on overseas flights and would have loved the opportunity for an 'instant' download for my upcoming flight.

Thanks again,

Jeff

+1 ebook / .pdf

I also just ordered a copy (thanks for going to the effort to write this book). I would have loved the option for a digital copy as well. Perhaps a .pdf for use on an iPad or Android Nexus 9? I completely agree with your assertion that a paper copy for reference whilst working on the aircraft is excellent. I find I don't carry paper anything on overseas flights and would have loved the opportunity for an 'instant' download for my upcoming flight.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Paper is heavy and a lot of us travel for work. I find I'm constantly looking into manuals here and there to bone up on stuff, as well as carrying around my magazine subscriptions and books that I'm always reading, compliments of Apple. Plus if I'm on the road with the RV and I have any kind of problem, I have every manual for every piece of gear in the airplane from spinner to tail wheel to reference. Marc your book would be a nice addition. ;)

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I'll look into an ebook as time allows. As you can imagine, this is a side project and family, work, etc. have to come first.

Please post any questions or corrections to the book here on VAF so everyone can benefit. Thanks!

eBook version

If you go the eBook route, try to avoid PDF. Hard to look at on a tablet. MOBI is the BEST format, and if you wrote it in Word, Word Perfect or any common word processor, it is easy to translate to MOBI. See

Smashwords

For more info. They have an easy converter too.

CC

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I'll look into an ebook as time allows. As you can imagine, this is a side project and family, work, etc. have to come first.

Please post any questions or corrections to the book here on VAF so everyone can benefit. Thanks!

Ordered!

Ordered my copy yesterday. Still a long way from staring to worry about wiring but this is the type of info that might take a while to wrap my head around so when I am ready I have a good idea of what I need/want.

Thanks, Marc

Review anyone?

Would love to see some unbiased critiques of the book-particularly if it covers new ground.

And I agree with all of the eBook votes. I have nearly reference I use for the airplane on my iPad.

Craig

E-COPY

Thanks Marc,

I looked, liked and have ordered a book - its on the way.

Also I would like an e-copy for when I am way out back, no comms, and need some electrical advice.

Regards

I'm impressed!

Wow, that was quick. I ordered this book last Sunday (Australian time), received an email to say it had shipped at 4am Tuesday morning, arrives at my front door 0930 Wednesday morning. Turns out that because the books are printed when you order, it gets printed in Australia and shipped locally - no long wait for things to come from the US. You're a legend Marc - many thanks.

Arrived today

I received my copy of the Aircraft Wiring Guide today. My overall impression is that this is a great buy. I don't keep too may hard copies of anything anymore since we are in the electronic age but I have to say that this gem is a keeper.
Thanks Marc

That looks prromising Marc. Thanks. On my list to purchase.

Oh Boy!

The new wiring book is here! The new wiring book is here!
Looks good so far---I got past the cover!
Tom

I'm very interested but would prefer just an electronic version. A paper one (at least, one in my possession) is too likely to get damaged/crinkled/dirty/lost/torn, and my annotations are half-likely to be illegible if not typed. There's a reason I jumped on getting the pdf plans as soon as they were offered...

Received mine a couple days ago - a super quick read. Fair warning - and taking nothing away from the book - it is a super basic primer, which exactly what I need:D. If you have any experience with this, it is probably a bit thin.

Marc if you go with an electronic version, will you be sure to start a new thread with the announcement?

New Book

Yea! I'm all excited opening the box. My new Aircraft Wiring Guide arrived. So I open the beautiful cover and the insides are bound upside down and backwards. I have to read it from back to front. :eek:
Sent Lulu an issue report.

Last edited:
Just placed my order, Electrical is my worst subject. I am the dummy they dummy it down for.

Larry, Let me know if they handle it for you. If not, I'd be glad to follow up too. Marc

Yea! I'm all excited opening the box. My new Aircraft Wiring Guide arrived. So I open the beautiful cover and the insides are bound upside down and backwards. I have to read it from back to front. :eek:

Wiring Book

Thanks for writing this. Just ordered one. Structure is done, wiring is starting. Physical routing is my current wonderment. Where should the wires run?

Sounds to me like you ordered the aerobatic version......:D

The book is now also stocked at:
Aircraft Spruce
Van's
Stein (haven't seen it up on the site yet though)

Thanks for all the feedback and support!

Indeed we do have those, but are working on an overall site refresh so those aren't listed yet. We still carry the other one, but I can say that we here all agree this is something everyone should have. Very simple, concise, updated to modern methods and not to overbearing for the new builder.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

I just ordered mine. Maybe that will allow Stein and his guys to finish other panels rather than answering all my questions!! Ha!

Come on Rocky, you can wire a house, you can wire a plane. Just need the right drawings.

Come on Rocky, you can wire a house, you can wire a plane. Just need the right drawings.

Forget a house he can wire a university. And he has the right drawings for that! He is just trying to support a publishing business :D

Forget a house he can wire a university. And he has the right drawings for that! He is just trying to support a publishing business :D

That isn't quite right - I can HIRE someone to wire a university. That doesn't mean I can DO it! HA!!

Im sure Nick, Chris, Stein, and Chad at VP, can attest to the many emails I have sent them with beginner questions. I am learning - but it is SLOW!

Hi Marc: Since Vans now offers your book I was able to order it through the Mother Ship! Thanks for your help. Bill

Back