What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tunnel access cover

dspender

Well Known Member
I purchased the tunnel access supplies from Airward. They thought placing the access panel on the pilots side was best due to location of the fuel filter. However I believe I saw on this site the right seat side was best. For those who have installed one what is your experience?

Like Vic mentioned either side will work. Some folks put it on both sides.

I put mine on the right side and am happy with that decision. I had some fuel issues before and during the first hours of Phase I. There were two unrelated issues. I ended up having to take the pump and filter out twice through the access panel. I found it awkward attempting to reach the bottom of the fuel valve or the connection on the firewall with the stick in place. I took the stick out to make it more convenient. Since it was the right side, I left the stick out for awhile to ensure I had resolved all the issues. Obviously you can't do that with the left stick.

Btw, I installed Dave's access panel too. It's a quality kit. I do suggest that you spend some time locating the best placement. Mine is pretty close to the seat to enable getting to the fuel valve easier. You'll need to use short wrenches, but you'll find you can access everything forward of the fuel valve through the panel.

Bob

I know everyone is adding these covers, but why not just split the top cover for a foot or so just in from of the valve. Add a splice like at the rear and then no need of all that work cutting the hole in the side. It's just a thought. It's what I wish I had done.:rolleyes:

Side cover works best

I hear you on splitting the top cover. The problem is that you then end up underneath the instrument panel and have to reach down to the bottom of the tunnel. I'm one of those who did not put this access cover in during the build, and fought with everything every year trying to remove the filter for cleaning. After 6 Condition inspections and filter removals, with the commensurate sore and cut hands, I added the access panel. Much better now.
And I do believe the filter will get more frequent inspections, and it now negates the nead to be disconnecting everything to get to it, like heater hoses and fuel lines above it. :)

Vic

I built a flush access cover on the bottom of the fuse that lets me reach up into the tunnel for service issues. This provides a much easier access and keeps all the mess outside the cockpit. From the picture below you can see how the cover has been split to allow easy access from the top. The gascolator is mounted directly above the lower access cover for ease of service. The fuel pump, although not installed in this picture, can also be reached and removed from the bottom access cover.
16t8cz.jpg
[/IMG]

Right side

I put mine on the right side. It was more comfortable reaching in with my right hand if the panel was on the right side of the tunnel.

Initially, I planned on putting an access on BOTH sides, but after getting the right side done it appears that I will have more than enough access with just one side.

Fuel management

My plan is to position filters beneath each seat for the two tank feeds. The pump per say is rarely a problem. Annual access to the filters is simplified. The red cube will be forward of the firewall. The number of connections is increased but I feel manageable. Is my logic sensible?

No filter in the tunnel.

I have 2 filters, one under each seat and no access cover.
Filters in this position are very easy to service.
Fuel pump and red cube are in the tunnel and rarely need service.
I did have a problem with a leaky red cube and needed to remove it from the tunnel. There is no way that could have been done through an access hole.
I also cannot imagine inspecting the tunnel with only an access hole cover removed, so for at least the annual condition inspection the top cover should be removed anyway.
However, I am sure the cost and time investment for an access cover is minimal and may come in handy at times, especially for those that have instrument panels extending all the way down to the top of the tunnel cover.

I have added a sub-panel under the throttle panel and cut the tunnel cover just behind that. Added a flange and a couple of nut-plates to secure it.

I have modded the fuel system to remove the in-line filter and mounted an Andair gascolator on the left side inside the tunnel, which is effectively now the fuel filter. I can remove the bowl for cleaning by just lifting the rear section of the forward tunnel cover.

Back