What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated AOA Pitot

Amadeus

Well Known Member
Doing the preflight on a Diamond DA40 before flying this morning I was feeling the heated pitot verifying it indeed did warm up which then made me think - the wings are removable on the RV-12iS which means the pitot tube is not on the wing!

Where exactly IS the pitot on the -12iS and wherever that may be is it possible to do an Angle of Attack heated pitot? The electrical system of the 912iS engine should be sufficient, shouldn't it?

Pitot tube on RV-12 and RV-12iS is thru the center of the spinner like a Bf 109 with 20mm cannon in the nose... :D

Pitot tube on RV-12 and RV-12iS is thru the center of the spinner like a Bf 109 with 20mm cannon in the nose... :D

That changes everything. I intended to have a cannon located there as bird defense.

In this case it seems an angle of attack pitot would not be feasible. What about heated?

That changes everything. I intended to have a cannon located there as bird defense.

In this case it seems an angle of attack pitot would not be feasible. What about heated?

AOA is already an option for RV-12. It mounts on left wing near stall sensor. It doesn't look like normal AOA and not heated. I suppose you could add heated pitot and AOA yourself. 912ULS is marginal on elec power. I think RV-12iS may have larger alternator.

Last edited:
Have you guys read about the UAVIONIX AV-30C? It uses an AHRS to determine deck angle and 3D GPS data to determine relative wind then calculates a derived angle of attack. Not as accurate as an AOA probe, but an easy solution. I replaced the AI and DG in my Cherokee with two of them. I’m very happ with them.

Back