What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil canning top wing skin

I didn't have any issues with the top skins, but there was some minor oil-canning on one bottom skin while riveting; that disappeared when all the riveting was completed. My point is that with very little movement of the substructure that oil-canning can present or disappear. Perhaps all you need to do is to keep going as the parts will likely pull themselves into proper position once all the riveting is done.

Are you able to attach a picture of the oil canning? I recently completed my left wing top skin attachment and didn't notice any oil canning. I assume the oil canning is the result of some misalignment in the skeleton and not present in the sheet itself. It's possible the method your using to secure the main spar to your workbench is introducing a slight twist in structure - something I noticed and corrected in my set-up. I don't think I would start riveting until you've resolved the oil canning issue at the cleco stage.

Thanks- I return home next week. Attachment method to bench is the same as depicted in the plans. It’s level and twist has been checked with a plum bob... both are within tight tolerance and minimal deviation.
My first thought is to check the rib flanges to be sure they aren’t inducing the “ canning”

Back