What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

question on aft canopy

I am trying to complete a RV 6 and am at the canopy stage. Thinking about not using the canopy aft of the roll bar, but instead finishing that area with sheet metal and then adding a baggage access door to the co-pilot side baggage area. Before I start this variation, any thoughts?

Thoughts

I think it's a compound curve so that would need to be dealt with somehow.
Where would the baggage door go? Assuming you're thinking above the longeron, because of the structures below. Standing outside for loading is right by the flap, so it'd be a bit awkward. Also need to think about how to seal against water entry and inadvertent opening during flight. I'm not sure the gain if any would be worth the effort.

Why?

I've got an RV-6A and an RV-6 and I can't think of any reason why one would delete the Plexiglas and put sheet aluminum there.
One I'm sure you would hurt resale value.
Second it doesn't make sense to do it when you probably have the plexiglass in to do it with anyway.
I like being able to look in the back to see what or if I have before I launch.
I would put the plexiglass in.
Just my three cents worth Art

Build the plane you want, but recognize that deviations from standard frequently become liabilities at re-sale time. If you never plan to sell, this isn't a consideration.

That said:
- That section of the airframe (the surface that includes the plexi and the sheet aluminum frame around it) does appear to be a flat wrap. At least, it sure looks like it on mine. If so, it should be possible to wrap a uniform sheet in the same location.
- Echo the concerns about where you'd put the door. Below the top longeron would require a structural frame that distributes the load carried by that panel instead. And with the tail down, that panel is quite low which might be awkward to access.
- Above the longeron and you'll have to reach down into the space... I don't think it would be that awkward, you'll usually park with the flaps down anyway which lets you get closer. And on the -6 the tail is lower which helps too.

Still: I'm *always* using the window behind the seat to look around. Taxiing, manoeuvring, formation, aerobatics, etc. More window is better, IMO.

There's a -7 out in Central TX that has baggage doors with windows, a gull wing affair.

PM me and I can connect you with the guy that did the design and implementation.

Back