What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable cockpit floors, now what?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
My project came with provisions for removable cockpit floors, and I've continued that way. However, there are clearly challenges.
1. After the stiffeners are riveted to the floors, locking them flat, how do you actually remove them? It seems to take a fair bit of bending to get them in and out for construction needs without stiffeners.
2. The seat hinges extend across both rear cockpit floor pieces. How'd you manage that? Platenuts beneath the floors so the floor half of the hinge can be removed?

How often are you guys actually removing these floors?

There are a few tight spots, but they can be finessed to come out easier.

Yes, the hinge runs can be held down with a few more screws & nutplates below the floor plate.

You will thank yourself many times for making the belly accessible. Think of future wiring mods, easier access to control circuits, & the all important cleaning that oily mess you will created when you installed that smoke tank & flip it upside down a few times...
On a practical note - I remove all those plates during 8 annuals.

Mine are removable as far back as the passenger stick, then riveted from there. I wish they were removable all the way back. The builder left all kinds of FOD down there that I found with a borescope, but can't easily get to. I'm actually considering cutting 2 inspection panels back in the baggage compartment floor so I can get my arms down in there.

How often are you guys actually removing these floors?

Honestly? I have added and removed a couple of autopilots, changed lighting, re-routed antenna cabling - all in the sixteen years and 2000+ hours I have flown and worked on my -8, and I have removed those floor panels exactly ZERO times. Of course, mine are riveted in (per plans), but drilling out those rivets can be as quick as removing a bunch of screws if I really need to - I just have never needed to.

I do recall the jigsaw puzzle of installing and removing those panels - after doing it a number of times during the build, I figured it out, but can’t remember the magic code now.

Paul

Honestly? I have added and removed a couple of autopilots, changed lighting, re-routed antenna cabling - all in the sixteen years and 2000+ hours I have flown and worked on my -8, and I have removed those floor panels exactly ZERO times. Of course, mine are riveted in (per plans), but drilling out those rivets can be as quick as removing a bunch of screws if I really need to - I just have never needed to.

I do recall the jigsaw puzzle of installing and removing those panels - after doing it a number of times during the build, I figured it out, but can’t remember the magic code now.

Paul

Same for me. First RV-8A now at 20 years and the pop rivet part of the floor has never been out. That plane has had five panel updates, new autopilot servos installed, ADS-B receiver install by the aft bell crank and such.

Note - I did not bury anything under these floors (like antennas) when building. The Comm #2 antenna (installed at the five year point) is accessible from the rear stick opening. Just plan ahead.

Carl

I pop riveted per plans. If I ever have to remove the floors, pop rivets are very quick and easy to drill out. Easy to put back in too. Much easier than a frozen screw is to remove.

Buy yourself an assortment of two lug, one lug, mini, corner, etc. nut plates. If not used here, then somewhere in your future.

Back