What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FLORIDA SALES TAX BEGINNING DECEMBER 1ST

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
The State of Florida has advised us that we will be required to withhold/collect sales tax on orders beginning December 1, 2021. We received late notice of this but wanted to pass it along as soon as we were aware (meaning today).

Thank you.

No; we had to pay the taxes ourselves. The State would come after people after one registered their airplanes and wanted proof the tax had been paid.

Hopefully this new system will be much better... last time I had to use a lawyer because we couldn't agree on tax value even though I provided them the receipts :eek:

This is why I'm not registering in Florida. There's a person in Tallahassee that apparently does nothing but look for new registrations. I had a fight with them with my brother's M20C

yes, save your receipts since the tax is collected when you buy the parts (since Jan 2022).
They will send you a letter a while after you get your registration and you will have to show that you paid along the way, if building.
Someone building a plane from parts is a bit of a odd circumstance for them, but I called the gal up and discussed the situation. Mine was more complicated since I bought half the kits secondhand (so no tax on those private sales (I had bill of sale)). I told her I wasn't sure how to handle all that and didn't want to pay twice, so decided to wait for them to contact me. She basically said to write down what I told her and send in copies of what I had.
I paid some tax and a small penalty since I did not pay at time of purchase.

I really wasn't too bad, and I now have a letter that says "PAID"!
I suppose it depends somewhat on who you get as the auditor.

This is why I'm not registering in Florida. There's a person in Tallahassee that apparently does nothing but look for new registrations. I had a fight with them with my brother's M20C

If you keep the aircraft in FL they will likely find you. They have several checks including requiring airports to report the N numbers of aircraft based there.

Oh - they ask the FBO to rat you out, do they?

Is it required that an aircraft have its actual/correct registration number displayed at all times, or just while being operated? A friend in Florida wants to know.

Is it lawful for an experimental to incorporate what might look like it could be a 12" N-number as part of a paint scheme, as long as the actual N-number in 3" letters is also on the fuselage or vertical stab? (I have several Florida friends who lack internet search skills).

Is it required that an aircraft have its actual/correct registration number displayed at all times, or just while being operated? A friend in Florida wants to know.
Is it lawful for an experimental to incorporate what might look like it could be a 12" N-number as part of a paint scheme, as long as the actual N-number in 3" letters is also on the fuselage or vertical stab? (I have several Florida friends who lack internet search skills).

§45.21(b) Unless otherwise authorized by the FAA, no person may place on any aircraft a design, mark, or other symbol that modifies or confuses the nationality and registration marks.

Last edited:
Most states that have sales tax have a use tax requirement for out of state purchases. Most of them will come after you upon registration of an aircraft.

It is better to be proactive and pay as you go, if you wait, some states will make up their own value for your shiny new airplane.

It is common to see airplanes with a prop lock on them here in TN with a sign that says “confiscated by the TN Department of Revenue”.

Bottom line is pay the taxes you owe or they will find you!

Back