What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plans management

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm curious how we all manage our plans. I've had mine on a desk, on a wall, on a TV connected to a PC. The 14 plans were super convenient, the 8 plans a bit unwieldy.

Curious if someone ingenious is doing something I want to copy!!!

I just went with the wall approach. I hung a shelf to put the manual on, then put a board on French cleats above it and clip the plans to it. I rarely move the plans, but depending on what I’m working on, sometimes I’ll grab the board and hang it on cleats on another wall so it’s closer for reference. I always have binder clips on a few different sheets for easy reference so I don’t have to thumb back and forth trying to find a particular drawing. Low tech, but the setup works fine.

Attachments

• A462087F-096E-430A-9F8F-D45E93AD63E9.jpg
    A462087F-096E-430A-9F8F-D45E93AD63E9.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 226
wall and book

Also use the wall like Brandon, plus a spiral bound book on the bench that is very useful for flipping back and forth.

Attachments

• 16381651300571638767330738366616.jpg
    16381651300571638767330738366616.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 205
An old Mac Mini on a widescreen in front of where I work displaying the PDF's. Sometimes I'll put up the big paper prints in a plastic sleeve, but that's just a general referral, whereas I scroll, zoom, flip between etc on the electronic dwgs.

The best method I have seen to manage paper copies was done at a prior job, where we had classified drawings which had to be kept track of. The drawings were laminated as a roll and setup on a table just like a scroll.

Was easy to roll the drawings 1 way or the other in order to get to the drawing in question. Being laminated you could use markers on it for notes if needed.

horizontal-scroll-or-parchment-with-wooden-handles-isolated-clipping-picture-id1224090236

I settled on using an old music stand... it's nice to be able to float the plans around the shop, but not take up any bench space.

Lance

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 158
Plans

I prefer the full size. My plans live on a home brew plans easel. It started attached to the wing cradle but is currently attached to the wall. There is a clear poster acrylic over them to keep them clean. It is also handy for dry erase marking. Huge binder clips hold it all together.

Plans holder

My shop has a standard insulated garage door. I fabbed up a holder frame out of 1x1’s and some 1/4” plywood. It just hangs on 2 hinge pins that go through the door hinges. I can easily take it off to switch the pages. I can also open and close the door with it in place. For quick reference the small set in the ring binder along with a magnifying glass is never far away.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• 1F8A4227-4F02-440F-BC34-EF4560C7E5AF.jpg
    1F8A4227-4F02-440F-BC34-EF4560C7E5AF.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
I had a local blueprint shop make copies 18" high and I keep a set of these on a workbench. Plus I have the PDF in my computer and on the iPad.

I like to sometimes make notes on the paper copies.

Dave

Don, that might be something I copy. My garage door is similar. Are the hooks any special shape and did you screw into the door?

Back