What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternate Canopies

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm slowly making my way towards the fastback mod for my -8. I'm not crazy about how the standard Van's canopy looks in the fastback version. Todds Canopies seems to be gone, and I can't get Aerocanopy to reply to emails. Has anyone tried a canopy from a Rocket on a fastback-8? Where do the Rocket guys get them? The abrupt rounded leading edge of the standard canopy is fine if there's a canopy bow right there to break it up, but the tip-over doesn't give it a place to hide. While I love all the 8's doing the P51 thing with invasion stripes, I'm going for a more modern T-38 look.

Ok, answering my own post initially. Aerocanopy got in touch with me. They seem eager and able to do a canopy for me which might be a bit sleeker than the standard Van's canopy. I'm not exactly sure even how to transmit data on a theoretical canopy, so we're beginning with the composite "cradle" Showplanes provides, because whatever the upper shape may be, the bottom still has to fit. I'm hoping Showplanes can send a CAD file to Aerocanopy so they get the real gouge from the source.

In case that doesn't work, is anyone working on a Showplanes Fastback now that might be able to get me whatever measurements Aerocanopy wants? Thanks in advance.

I'm working on a showplanes fastback and might be interested in an alternate canopy as well. What measurements would they need? Let me know and I can put something together.

Scott

I'm in the same boat. I spoke with Airplane Plastics and they're happy to help with building a sleeker canopy with a very similar cost to the stock Vans version. Todd had his made there and I prefer the shape to the bubble, but being tall I worry there won't be clearance.

Attachments

• rUDBERG.jpg
    rUDBERG.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 166
Clay - I'm starting work on my fuse kit which I intend to install the fastback kit. I too would be interested in an alternate canopy, please keep us informed on your progress.

>>> Todd had his made there and I prefer the shape to the bubble, but being tall I worry there won't be clearance.
Todd, and then Lance, had their own tooling and blew the canopies themselves. I picked mine up at Lance’s shop in Indiantown.
Not sure of the current Aerocanopy situation.

Sure would like to see the Clark fastback conversion back in production.

I spoke to Aerocanopy today and they have since spoken to Showplanes. Sadly, there is no 3D CAD file for the Showplane canopy cradle that could be forwarded to Aerocanopy so that they can ensure the bottom of an altered canopy will sit in the Showplane cradle.

What can be done is to have a Showplane canopy frame scanned to create a 3D CAD file so that Aerocanopy can make new style canopies that fit the established frame. There is a company in Lebanon IN that will do the scanning of a Showplane frame so that Aerocanopy knows what they need to fit. This "scanning" is not destructive and the frame scanned can still be used afterwards. While the scanning process may cost up to $250, it's possible that Aerocanopy may help defray the cost so that they have the data.

Is anyone nearby Lebanon IN with an unused Showplane canopy frame that they would be willing to have scanned? You'll have your frame back when they're done, Aerocanopy will have their 3D CAD file, and the question will never need to be asked again.

Back