What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whelen Orion 600 Pos/Strobe/Nav Combo ? UPGRADE

Omega232Devils

Well Known Member
I fly a lot at night. So one thing is very important to me, to be seen while flying in San Diego's busy Class B airspace. I have been wanting to upgrade to LEDs for a number of reasons, like increased light output, lower amp draw and longer lifetime on parts. After replacing two strobe power supplies in less than 2 years, I was more motivated to make the switch.

BLUF: Installation was easy, requiring minimal tools, time and effort. Result in drop of 2.6 lbs from outboard wing ribs, drop in 10.24amps and bright lights.

I looked at several lights on the market. A couple that caught my eye were: AeroLEDS, Ztron and Whelen (both Orion series and Microburst). My decision to go with the Whelen Orion 600 lights was topped by 2 points, 1) They are a 'DIRECT' replacement for Aeroflash kit 156-0049 and Whelen A600 wingtip Nav/Strobe/Pos lights, and 2) Whelen is a proven company. (Direct replacement meaning, they are the exact same footprint, mounting holes and require no additional glass work unlike the others I was considering!)

As timing would have it a fellow VAF member began selling the whelen lights, so I contacted Mike Stewart "Kahuna" and ordered a pair. They arrived from the East coast to the Right coast in about 6 days. Mike even has an install kit complete with 40' of 4 strand wire, all necessary hardware and molex connectors to make the already simple install, that much easier.

The install took about 20 minutes per side, in fact it took longer to take off the wingtip than it did to hook up the new lights. (Again, in all fairness, if you want the strobes to flash in sync, you will need to run a wire from wingtip to wingtip. This will take about 1-2 hours. Ask me how I know! :D)

Flipped the switch and these babies are BRIGHT :cool:!!!

Overall: I am very happy with the upgrade, lights are a simple drop in replacements for Aeroflash kit 156-0049 and Whelen A600 wingtip Nav/Stobe/Pos lights. Only complaint I have with the lights are the strobes flash at a single pulse rate of 45+-5fpm vice double flash of my older Aeroflash lights.

A big thanks to Kahuna for the lights, if you are in the market for an upgrade, I recommend heading over to http://shop.teamaerodynamix.com/ and let Mike hook you up.

Dan

Needs a little touch up paint I know!!!

Last edited:
Back