camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > COMM
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Good morning Geoff,

The GTR 200 can accept frequency tuning data from any Garmin portable GPS unit that supports the "VHF Out" RS-232 data format. This includes the GPSmap 296/396/495/496, GPSmap 695/696, the aera 5xx family, and the aera 795/796. It also can interface to the GDU 37x cockpit display when it is configured either as a standalone panel-mounted MFD or as part of a complete G3X EFIS system.

The GTR 200 can also receive database information via the same RS-232 interface that allows it to display comm frequency identification information on its own front-panel display. For example, if you manually tune a frequency of 118.450, the GTR 200 will automatically decode and display it as "KFLY AWOS". The database information is transferred automatically from the GPSmap 695/696, the aera 5xx family, the aera 795/796, and the GDU 37x cockpit display unit.

- Matt
I had planned to use the GTR 200 in my RV-6 build and am installing my 396 GPS. Does this mean that I will not have airport identifiers on the display unless I tune via selection from the 396?

Thanks,

Larry
Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I had planned to use the GTR 200 in my RV-6 build and am installing my 396 GPS. Does this mean that I will not have airport identifiers on the display unless I tune via selection from the 396?
Hello Larry,

When used with your GPSmap 396 GPS, the GTR 200 will receive information about airports in your flight plan as well as certain nearby airports, but will not have access to the full transfer of all frequency database information as it would when used with one of the newer units referenced above. So you will likely see frequency identifier information being displayed for certain frequencies, but not every one.

- Matt
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Hello Larry,

When used with your GPSmap 396 GPS, the GTR 200 will receive information about airports in your flight plan as well as certain nearby airports, but will not have access to the full transfer of all frequency database information as it would when used with one of the newer units referenced above. So you will likely see frequency identifier information being displayed for certain frequencies, but not every one.

- Matt
Thanks for the follow up details. I will be interfacing my 396 GPS with both a Trio AP and the GTR200. Is the functionality above enabled with one way or two way communications. I am not sure that I can bridge both devices on the transmit side of the RS-232 communications channel.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the follow up details. I will be interfacing my 396 GPS with both a Trio AP and the GTR200. Is the functionality above enabled with one way or two way communications. I am not sure that I can bridge both devices on the transmit side of the RS-232 communications channel.
Larry,

The RS-232 connection between the GTR 200 and any portable GPS is a one-way connection (OUT from the GPS, IN to the radio).

- Matt
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM

Default 496

Quote:

Thanks,

Larry
I have my GTR 200 fed by my 496 and I haven't come across any issues. Works great with the identifiers (really slick). Haven't done much x-country with it so I might find some identifiers missing over time. Also my 496 feeds my Dynon D180 autopilot. All work fine.

Paul Merems (EAA Tech Counselor, EAA Sheetmetal Workshop Instructor/Volunteer 18 yrs)
ExperimentalAero-HANGAR BANNERS
www.experimentalaero.com
RV-7A (Flying since 2010)/RV-4 (sold 1990)
Tucson, Arizona 85749
Old 01-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the assistance guys. I appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 PM

Default Any reports yet?

Hi all, just wondered if anyone had one of the Garmin GTR 200's working in an RV yet? If so, might you give some comments to the rest of us?

cheers

Geoff
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 AM

Default I do

I have posted a few comments about the GTR200 in past few months. I have been flying with it since around Sept 2013.

Outstanding radio, great features, amazing intercom. Garmin listens to user comments and updates the software (simple SD card interface) based on user input. Some of the updated functionality was based on some of my input (and others possibly as well).

I highly recommend it.

Paul Merems (EAA Tech Counselor, EAA Sheetmetal Workshop Instructor/Volunteer 18 yrs)
ExperimentalAero-HANGAR BANNERS
www.experimentalaero.com
RV-7A (Flying since 2010)/RV-4 (sold 1990)
Tucson, Arizona 85749
Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvans.com View Post
8.33 at no hilariously expensive upcharge would be my #1 requirement. actually not just mine, but all of Europe.
Yep ... all for that ...!! I buy one right away :-)

Slooow RV6, no hole, builder in UK
Paid up for 2015 ...
Old 12-20-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Larry,

The RS-232 connection between the GTR 200 and any portable GPS is a one-way connection (OUT from the GPS, IN to the radio).

- Matt
Hello Matt,
could you help me understand the wiring between the GPSMAP 39x and the GTR200? I had no luck finding documentation of those two units only going but what's most likely and similar devices.

From my understanding the cable shielding is connected to black ground wire on the GPSMAP side and to the common grounding block on the GTR side (btw doesn't that create a ground loop?) according to GTR 200/GTR 200B Installation Manual Revision P Page D-4 where it shows an Aera 79x. Then the "DATA OUT (BLUE)" on the GPS MAP will send signals to PIN 24 "RS-232 IN" on the GTR according to Garmin GPSMAP 695/696 Owner’s Manual, Page 208

As you mentioned the opposite direction doesn't need to be connected cause there is no data flowing, is that still correct?

I plan to remove the fuse from the red power lead and instead use a 4A circuit breaker to have all the circuit protection in a single place. Anything wrong with doing that?

Last question, can you describe what the GPSMAP does when connected to a G3x? Not something i plan in the near future but would be curious to know how they work together