What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Great Adventures West

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Ha! This is all pretty amusing. I'm just now catching up on Vlad's great adventure. We've been on our own, very similar adventure for the last three days over on the Card TV channel. However, through two pilot's worth of skilled aviating, we did in fact make it to the west coast. Currently typing in front of a cozy window overlooking Crater Lake in Oregon. Yesterday was Crescent City to check out the monster redwood forest, before that was Albuquerque. There has been a big turbulence airmet over the whole desert for the past few days, and I can tell you for a fact, that it wasn't lying. We probably won't do that again :). We spent 10.5hrs navigating the other day. Over, Under, Around, whatever it takes. 22C turned 1000hrs yesterday. She is throwing just a touch of prop grease that I'm watching carefully. I'm thinking due to the hours of huge turbulence the other day. Hopefully our adventure will continue all the way up to Victoria, BC over the next few days. All dependent on weather. Hopefully, tomorrow we'll be headed out of Medford, OR for Aurora.

4i1ksm.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting trip. Keep us up to date. My ancestors tribal lands are not far from where you are now. The Mt Shasta - southern Oregon region is where the Indian Nation my family is from. It is a pretty place and the history is very interesting - somewhat sad, but still interesting.

Have a good rest of your trip!

Scott, sounds like a great trip. We just did the opposite trip from Portland to Austin (and then onto Florida). Just got back to Portland last week.

I don't have any extra hangar space to offer, but I have a guest bed room at KVUO if you interested.

Chris.

Scott, Tanya! My initial plan was to intercept you on West coast. Then I saw you going South (Watson?)and ending the day at ABQ. I knew I would miss you by at least half a day. :D Have fun guys and be careful. Trust 22C she will get you wherever you want.

Crater Lake in the summer, what a gorgeous place.

When I flew over it last November and it was inundated with snow, lots of it. Simply have to get back there this time of the year.

What airport did you use?

Thanks for the picture.

Scott and Tanya, Port Townsend is a nice spot to spend a day. 0S9, hangar space and a funky airport car should be available if needed. Let me know if you stop on the way by, be happy to be a tour guide!

Steve

425-348-1714
[email protected]

ABQ yesterday? Try Santa Fe on the way back and let me know you're coming...much more fun! :D

Bob
505-231-4598

Great

Good picture!! That is a beautiful location and the temperatures must be a little cooler than TX. Have a good trip!

We have started our summer travels and are in Steamboat Springs, CO. Planning on working our way NW next weekend.

I can only hope we can grow up to be just like Tom & Bonnie with their summer adventures.

We're safe on the ground at the mother ship for the next couple of days. The run up from Medford was pretty low level following I-5, worked well. There totally comes a time to put down all the toys, instruments and data to put eyes on the road ahead, and the 'out' still in sight. We are hooked up with Dave and Alena Bono for a major part of the rest of the adventure.

I can only hope we can grow up to be just like Tom & Bonnie with their summer adventures.

There totally comes a time to put down all the toys, instruments and data to put eyes on the road ahead, and the 'out' still in sight.

Love those quotes Scott!!!

..... Hopefully our adventure will continue all the way up to Victoria, BC over the next few days. All dependent on weather. Hopefully, tomorrow we'll be headed out of Medford, OR for Aurora.

The Victoria Flying Club was a good place to tie down in Victoria when we were there last and the car rental places will deliver to you there.

I'll be up there again at the end of July. Victoria is a nice place to visit.

empress-A.jpg

If you want to have lunch at Friday Harbor, do it on the way to Canada, not on the return. The Canadians warned me it was the least friendly US spot for Customs, and I think they were correct...:(

Good tips. Tanya found Friday Harbor customs very grumpy when she just called to inquire a few days ago, already hatching a different reentry plan.

The Victoria Flying Club was a good place to tie down in Victoria when we were there last and the car rental places will deliver to you there.

I'll be up there again at the end of July. Victoria is a nice place to visit.

empress-A.jpg

If you want to have lunch at Friday Harbor, do it on the way to Canada, not on the return. The Canadians warned me it was the least friendly US spot for Customs, and I think they were correct...:(

Nice Pic

There has been a big turbulence airmet over the whole desert for the past few days, and I can tell you for a fact, that it wasn't lying. We probably won't do that again :). We spent 10.5hrs navigating the other day. Over, Under, Around, whatever it takes. 22C turned 1000hrs yesterday. She is throwing just a touch of prop grease that I'm watching carefully. I'm thinking due to the hours of huge turbulence the other day. Hopefully our adventure will continue all the way up to Victoria, BC over the next few days. All dependent on weather. Hopefully, tomorrow we'll be headed out of Medford, OR for Aurora.

4i1ksm.jpg

Boy is this a change!! :confused: You guys are wearing jackets and we're roasting to death in Colorado. Looks like you're having a good trip. We got beat up coming back from San Diego yesterday... So many fires along the way, the state is burning up. :mad:
Be safe and have fun in the Great White North. Keep those jackets handy. See you at OSH. :cool:

Congrats on the thousand hour mark. I need do some more flying you're starting to catch me.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the gallery thank you Scott!

You can imagine the conversation in our cockpit when we taxied in there.. "So, where do you think we should park?". "I don't know, you are PIC". As it usually goes :). "What are those bright colors on the ramp?". "No clue. How about here?". "Looks good to me."

Traveling with your own built in TEAM is awesome.

GREAT photos! I wish I had known when you were here in Oregon. I would like to meet you. Sometime soon, hopefully!

Back