What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Panel Vinyl Skin

wirejock

Well Known Member
It worked. No electronics. They are on order and six months away. Switches and stuff are loosely mounted for the photo.

There was a learning curve and a few industry secrets I had to learn, but the end result turned out nice. This is not about the panel layout. It's a new method to draw, cut and skin your instrument panel. What's really cool is changes are easy. Make changes, print, cut the new holes then put down a new skin. Details are on my blog currently. They will come down if a magazine prints the article.
At that point, I'll add a link on my blog.
20220114_125631.jpg

It worked. No electronics. They are on order and six months away. Switches and stuff are loosely mounted for the photo.
There was a learning curve and a few industry secrets I had to learn, but the end result turned out nice. This is not about the panel layout. It's a new method to draw, cut and skin your instrument panel. What's really cool is changes are easy. Make changes, print, cut the new holes then put down a new skin. Details are on my blog currently. They will come down if a magazine prints the article.
At that point, I'll add a link on my blog.
View attachment 20991

Looks like a single seater with huge rudder pedals!

I do like the avionics; Light weight, simple wiring, and minimal current draw.

Rudder pedals

Looks like a single seater with huge rudder pedals!

I do like the avionics; Light weight, simple wiring, and minimal current draw.

Whoops. RV7A. Those are equipment panels. I should have moved them for the photo.
They are mounted between the panel and subpanel with hinges. They can swing out forward or aft or remove by pulling the pins.

six months

Six month wait? Crikey, how can a business survive without sales revenue for that long! :eek:
I really do hope they can manage, for everyone's sake.
The panel looks good and I'm looking forward to reading about the process.

I like the swing down equipment panels. I am considering doing the same thing. Removing a large screen to have access works, but the pulling a pin to check the check fuses, etc is much easier. I’ll try to find your blog to check out the vinyl panel overlay. Our EAA chapter is buying a printer to do just that.

Blog link

Where is the blog link?

I like the swing down equipment panels. I am considering doing the same thing. Removing a large screen to have access works, but the pulling a pin to check the check fuses, etc is much easier. I’ll try to find your blog to check out the vinyl panel overlay. Our EAA chapter is buying a printer to do just that.

Sorry, I don't have it on my signature anymore.
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com

Your Throttle/Prop/etc. control mounting plate is wider & deeper than most. Have you mocked up some seat cushions & sat in the plane to insure your thighs will clear the sharp corner? Think accident, heavy turbulence, or passenger egress- potential for cutting or jabbing your leg.
If enough clearance, maybe think about rounding out the plate corners for added insurance.

Tighten switch nuts

How do you tighten the nuts on the switches without tearing the vinyl?

They are not tightend. Guess I'll face that bridge when I get there. Initial plan is to use very thin washers. Like everything we do, it's experimental!

Your Throttle/Prop/etc. control mounting plate is wider & deeper than most. Have you mocked up some seat cushions & sat in the plane to insure your thighs will clear the sharp corner? Think accident, heavy turbulence, or passenger egress- potential for cutting or jabbing your leg.
If enough clearance, maybe think about rounding out the plate corners for added insurance.

I've sat in it, layed down in it, crawled around in it. No bodily damage, yet! Now that someone has pointed it out, nk doubt I'll cut a leg off!

Last edited:
Tighten switch nuts tool

You could use this with ring nuts and washer for a nice finished look.
togg sw wrench.PNG

Back