What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight & Balance

Amadeus

Well Known Member
As long as the weight is below 1320# is it even possible to be outside the envelope on an RV-12? I've played around with low fuel and heavy passnger/pilot, light pilot with full fuel and max baggage, just about every variation you could potentially see and none have been out of the envelope.

Just curious.

I use a spreadsheet to run the W&B on the aircraft (original RV-12s, not 12iS) I rent so I played with the numbers a bit, and it looks like the CG goes just outside the envelope with a heavy (> 230lbs) pilot and no fuel. The most extreme case was with 410lbs of pilot/passengers, no baggage and 3 gallons of fuel.

I think if you stay within the weight limits (maximum gross, baggage and per-seat) and keep a reasonable fuel reserve you're going to have a very hard time getting outside the envelope, and then it's going to be a bit nose-heavy.

Pilot and passenger, no baggage and less than 5 gallons of gas put me just outside the forward limit for landing.
So I just carry my cross country kit (tools, etc) all the time and that takes care of it.

wb.jpg

Last edited:
Back