What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skytec NL Started with IO360

banzai37

I'm New Here
Skytec NL Starter with IO360

I'm looking to replace my Skytec 149-12LS starter with the with 149NL. I have an IO360-A1A with the horizontal induction (and fiberglass snorkel). Will the NL fit as-is, or will I need to make adjustments to something?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Interesting you ask. Recently Lycoming sent me a 149NL starter (replacement for the existing 149-12LS) to see if it would fit (IO-360-M1B with snorkel). It was not even close - way too long. I ended up putting on another 149-12LS starter.

Carl

My Superior IO-360 came from Aerosport Power with a 149NL. I had to trim off a couple of mounting bosses on the starter to fit the snorkel around it.

Per the Skytec Install instructions:
"...BOSSES 'B', 'C' & 'D' MAY BE TRIMMED TO WITHIN 1/8" OF THE STARTER CASE AND DISCARDED WHERE REQUIRED TO CLEAR OTHER DEVICES NEAR THE STARTER."

Skytec 149NL Starter

So Carl says it doesn’t fit but John says it does with a little trimming on the mounting bosses. I too have an Aerosport overhauled IO-360 M1B with horizontal induction and am concerned about the length and the possible interference with the snorkel air box. I have 9:5:1 pistons so the 149NL would be a better option to turn over the engine.

Anyone else have input about the clearance issues?

Maybe this helps??

I think this is the starter u are asking about. Cowl is on so can’t verify. I did cut off at least 1 mounting tab. As u can see I had to modify the snorkel, but more for the alternator bracket.

Starter

Keith,

So you did not have to modify the snorkel because of the starter, just the alternator?
What engine model do you have?

On Skytec’s website I see there is a Lightweight model, a lightweight high torque model and the NL high torque. I’ve sent Skytec an e-Mail for clarification but it appears there may be a lightweight high torque model that would fit.

Lycoming (Aerosport of Canada) IO-360 M1S. Same as M1B except mine has Dual Pmags. Only change due to starter was to cut off unneeded mounting tabs. No change to snorkel on starter side that I recall.

Cut off one lug on the starter and make a small mod to the snorkle. You are going to have to mod the snorkle anyway to make it fit so the small additional mod is no big thing. This is a Titan IO 370 engine, not an angle valve engine.

Last edited:
OP asked about fit on the IO-360-A1A and got info back on a bunch of different engines.

I have an IO-360-A1A and I have the NL starter. Fits great. I did cut off one lug IIRC.

I do not have a snorkel so I can't advise on that.

Back