What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PC680

wirejock

Well Known Member
I just finished the PC680 battery box and looked up the battery dimensions.
7 3/16" long by 6 1/2" tall by 2 7/8" deep and with a weight of 14.5 lbs. (Vans store)
Box is 7 3/16 by 2 15/16
Does it go in?
Usually a part needs a little clearance.
By the way, the battery box is a lot of work!

I just finished the PC680 battery box and looked up the battery dimensions.
7 3/16" long by 6 1/2" tall by 2 7/8" deep and with a weight of 14.5 lbs. (Vans store)
Box is 7 3/16 by 2 15/16
Does it go in?
Usually a part needs a little clearance.
By the way, the battery box is a lot of work!

It does fit without any room to spare.

guillotine

The box works great. Only drawback is the possibility of losing a finger putting the battery in or out :)

The steel box actually began life as the metal case for the PC680MJ battery.

It fits like a glove.

But just try and substitute a similar battery into the box...it won't fit. I spliced two of the boxes together to add just a bit of width so I could use an aftermarket battery.

Here's a gotcha to avoid: Don't install anything onto the firewall too close above the battery box, or you won't be able to slide the battery up and out! I put my "forest of tabs" right above the battery and guess what? When I need to remove the battery now, I'm going to have to remove the whole box. As Forrest Gump said, I'm not a smart man.

Tip

Here's a gotcha to avoid: Don't install anything onto the firewall too close above the battery box, or you won't be able to slide the battery up and out! I put my "forest of tabs" right above the battery and guess what? When I need to remove the battery now, I'm going to have to remove the whole box. As Forrest Gump said, I'm not a smart man.

Great heads up. Thanks!

Just put a door on it ...

I stacked my batteries and knew there would be a conflict with getting them in and out from the top. The solution was to make the front of the box open, so they could be wiggled out at any angle.

The hardest part of the mod was cutting the front off the box. It is mild steel, so a cutoff wheel in a die grinder was the ticket. Add a couple short sections of hinge and you're there. (I would recommend match drilling the hinge in place before cutting the box apart. Assemble after the cut)

Just installed my batteries today and this works well.

Attachments

• batt box.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 230
Like at Idea ,But

I stacked my batteries and knew there would be a conflict with getting them in and out from the top. The solution was to make the front of the box open, so they could be wiggled out at any angle.

The hardest part of the mod was cutting the front off the box. It is mild steel, so a cutoff wheel in a die grinder was the ticket. Add a couple short sections of hinge and you're there. (I would recommend match drilling the hinge in place before cutting the box apart. Assemble after the cut)

Just installed my batteries today and this works well.

On my 9 the battery is located quite a bit higher and I like the idea of a front door. But I question the ability to utilize that front door as much as you would like due to conflict with the back side engine accessories. There probably is a location that would work well but might want to take that look with engine installed and where that may need to be due to those other conflicts. Still like the idea.

Handle

As noted getting the battery out is a bit of a pain as it is not light and is hard to finger grip. I will probably be swapping out my 2nd PC680 this year after about 7 years of good service, still fires up the 360 but is noticeably sluggish on the first blade. I am thinking of adding some form of strap/handle if I can to make it easier to remove.
Figs

I am thinking of adding some form of strap/handle if I can to make it easier to remove.

I just used a piece of scrap 1” nylon webbing as a lifting handle with holes punched for the battery bolts. Made the job much easier.

As noted getting the battery out is a bit of a pain as it is not light and is hard to finger grip. I will probably be swapping out my 2nd PC680 this year after about 7 years of good service, still fires up the 360 but is noticeably sluggish on the first blade. I am thinking of adding some form of strap/handle if I can to make it easier to remove.
Figs

If you try to grip the battery at the top by its sides and pull up, yeah, it is a royal pain. Best way is to push up on the battery with a dowel or something through the bottom opening (I used the handle of a plastic soft-blow hammer). Once clear of the box, the battery sorta cocks sideways and you can easily grab and remove it.

I'm sure the strap works quite nicely...just takes a little more time.

Dew eet

Fits like a glove. Zero issues following the plans on my install.

The PC680 is a great little battery. It'll last for years if you fly regularly and is only like $80 to replace. Which in aviation $$$ terms is basically free.

Fits like a glove. Zero issues following the plans on my install.

The PC680 is a great little battery. It'll last for years if you fly regularly and is only like $80 to replace. Which in aviation $$$ terms is basically free.

Where do you find them for $80 ????

$$

Maybe not $80, but Autozone is the distributor and they sell there for $129.99 with 20% off and free 2 day delivery... $104 Sale ends tonight

They are about $133 MSRP on the odyssey website.

also have the Odyssey chargers

Ouch! As an old family story goes ... "is that US or Canadian dollars?!"

Pretty sure Autozone won't ship to AU!

Down here they are about $350 AUD, that's about $240 USD, plus shipping!

They're about half that, if you buy from Van's, and get it shipped over to Oz with your kit (or buy your builder mate a beer & ship it with their kit!).

Back