What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACS Military Discount Program

Icarus

Well Known Member
For the service men and women who may lurk on the site, I stumbled onto ACS?s military discount program.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/stpages/militarydiscount.php

?We are proud to announce our new military discount program in order to honor those who have served our country. Past and present servicemen can now send us their military ID and have their account coded for military discounts. Discount percentage will vary by item and can range from 1% to 10%. The discount percentage will be offered on our daily retail prices. MRP items, such as Bose headsets and Garmin Portable GPS, are excluded from the discount promotion. To qualify for the military discount, the customer must be active or retired US Marine Corps, Army, Navy, Air Force, National Guard, Civil Air Patrol, or Coast Guard.?

Hope this helps somebody. Happy New Year!

Be carful how you do this.

The photocopying of U.S. Government identification cards is a violation of Title 18, U.S. Code Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701 and punishable by fine and imprisonment.

I applied. Says I’ll be contacted in 48 hrs. I’ll report back the process when complete.

Be carful how you do this.

The photocopying of U.S. Government identification cards is a violation of Title 18, U.S. Code Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701 and punishable by fine and imprisonment.

Yeah "send us your military ID" (photocopied or scanned obviously) is a foul. I get that they are trying to verify eligibility, but their good intentions are fraught with ignorance on their part and danger on your part. You cant do this......

I have looked at the title 18 code, and yes it states it is illegal. I do believe the intent is for those who possess such articles with the intent of harm. I am not endorsing the practice or say it is correct to do it. I have been using the Aircraft Spruce discount for a bit now, but not telling how they figured out I was legitimate. I appreciate them providing the discount.

There is a picture of an ID on http://www.cac.mil/Common-Access-Card/
Over the years I have seen warnings not to send out copies of your ID.

Lowes offers a military/veteran discount as well. You register online and they have a way of verifying eligibility. There must be a database these companies can access to see if you have actually served.

Most companies that give a Veteran Discount will accept a driver's license or handgun license that has the "Veteran" confirmation on it. Others want to see a copy of your DD-214.

Lowes offers a military/veteran discount as well. You register online and they have a way of verifying eligibility. There must be a database these companies can access to see if you have actually served.

There is a method online, that is what credit card companies use for verification for soldier, sailors, relief act (or whatever it is called now).

Speaking of, if you are active duty and travel at all get the AMEX platinum card. Free for active ($550 yearly fee). Has tons of perks to include club access, Uber credits, airline inflight credits, etc.

You can copy a DD214 and use that. I have had the ACS military discount for years now and it works well.

:cool:

Monthly Retirement Account

Sent them a copy of the RAS statement with the quantities blacked out

Sent them a copy of the RAS statement with the quantities blacked out

Thats a neat idea. I applied, waiting contact - like someone previous posted, pretty much finished building now, but I'll take what I can get.....

Applied today and received a response.

“Thank you for your interest in our new US military discount program. So I can code your account correctly, can you please e-mail me a copy of either your form DD-214, respond back to me with your military email address or you may show me any other type of proof that you were/are in the military? We require the proof of your service to the military to code your account for our discount program. Thank you for your service and I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,”

Note it says ANY other type.

1) Thank you ACS for the discount
2) invoke the ANY

My state has a Veterans ID card. Simple as filling out a form and and a trip to the DMV.
They provide a nice ID card which says directly on it “not for official government use or ID”
Simply verified proof you’re a veteran so a person doesn’t have to give out their DD214

ACS took my state issued Veteran ID no problem. Check your state and invest in a Veteran ID. I’ve used it often and it’s paid for itself in both $ saved and my DD214 security

DD 214 copies

A dd-214 can be copied and submitted as documentation. It is not illegal to reproduce a DD214.

18 USC 701 deals with "...badge, identification card, or other insignia...," of which a DD214 is not.

Not due to the law, but good practices, you should redact your SSN and personally identifying information from a copy you submit to others.

Others posted the full statute below if you want to read it, or here is a link.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/701
or
https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-18-crimes-and-criminal-procedure/18-usc-sect-701.html

With ACS, I had a copy of my DD-214 so it was easy. With another company, I couldn't for the life of me find the clay tablet upon which it was inscribed. Spent days searching the house. I finally emailed them images of my enlistment contract, orders to report to Basic Training, a couple of PCS and ARCOM orders, and the orders for separation. That was enough. After that I sent off for a copy of my DD-214 (and promptly found the original, of course). That's why I had it handy to send to Spruce.

#metoo

I applied for and received the discount today. I didn't want to send in my DD214 because it had my SSN on every page, so I looked around for some other proof that I was a veteran. I sent in a copy of the retirement certificate the President signed and a retirement letter signed by the Commandant of the Marine Corps and that was enough proof.

Thanks ACS!!

Just black out your SSN on the DD-214 copy you send them. They said that would be OK ...

I blacked out all personal identifying information, which included my SSN, before I scanned it.

:cool:

I just took a pic of the top part of my RAS (blanked ssn) and shot it to them. They approved it within the hour. Nice! Must be quiet in the offices there right now.....

Their email said theyd take anything that shows your military service, so I'd bet an award (Achievement etal) would work as well......clearly your ID card is not required or desired.

Last edited:
Military discount

I ordered a GTN 650, not a cheap order, and was told by ACS that Garmin in their infinite wisdom will not allow any discounts. Yes they make a good product but my opinion of Garmin just dropped significantly.

Here's the response from ACS:

"As much as I would like to the Garmins are not discountable. Garmin keeps the Price. Thank you very much for your service !! Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. We look forward to the next opportunity to serve you."

I have received some significant discounts from ACS on other items so they are a stand up business in my book. Now Garmin on the other hand.........

Last edited:
Unfortunately, quite a few manufacturers reserve this right. Lightspeed and Bose also come to mind.

MILITARY DISCOUNT

From this forum I learned about the ASC discount and sent scanned Honorable Discharge with SSN covered. Discount was applied the same day. This forum is so helpful!

Thats nice but unfortunately I served in the wrong country :)

But I was once in Hawaii and rented a Cessna and they even gave me the Veteran discount despite the fact that I served for Switzerland (and yes I told them)..

Veteran Discount

''A shame it doesn?t apply in Canada.''

Well since ACS now have a store in Canada I don't see why they wouldn't apply the same discount to Canadians in all due respect..:cool:

I will try to find out on my return from the land of the rising sun..:)

Bruno

ACS MILITARY DISCOUNT

Update;

For Canadians Veterans and active members of the Canadian Armed Forces,

I just send an e-mail to AC Spruce regarding their Military Discounts so I should get a reply fairly soon..

The girl I talked to said she couldn't think of a reason why we couldn't be includee..

Stand By for new Atis Message..

Bruno

" To qualify for the military discount, the customer must be active or retired from...."

I understand what ACS means, but taking the above literally, I, like scores of other Vets do not qualify. I did 10 years in the USAF and was discharged honorably, but I did not "retire". Many merchants that offer military discounts seem to think that all vets have an ID card once discharged - Those who separated before retirement typically don't.

Update;

For Canadians Veterans and active members of the Canadian Armed Forces,

I just send an e-mail to AC Spruce regarding their Military Discounts so I should get a reply fairly soon..

The girl I talked to said she couldn't think of a reason why we couldn't be includee..

Stand By for new Atis Message..

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

I send a note of enquiry to ACS Canada and they said the discount did not apply in Canada. No explanation why not. If you?re able to work some magic and have that policy amended, I?m sure it would be greatly appreciated by those of us here who have served our nation.

Richard

ACS MILITARY DISCOUNT

Hi Richard

Well good to know but here's what I received from a Janette Barber ( Marketing Coordinator) and in my e-mail I specified that I was a Retired RCAF member but she probably still thought that I was a US Citizen..
----------------------
Greetings,
Thank you for your interest in our military discount program. We require
proof of your service to the military in order to code your account for the
discount program.
----------------------------------------
I'll follow thru with my request and see if I get anywhere...will report back if succesful.

Cheers

Bruno

I got this discount from Lowes, and Verizon they just needed a copy of my DD214, I just covered the Social Security Number on it. When I was in the Army my Social Security Number was my serial number.
I'm going to contact ACS and see if this is OK.

I got this discount from Lowes, and Verizon they just needed a copy of my DD214, I just covered the Social Security Number on it. When I was in the Army my Social Security Number was my serial number.
I'm going to contact ACS and see if this is OK.
That's what I sent them... 1984 vintage DD214 with my SSN blocked out.

When I was in the Army my Social Security Number was my serial number.
OK.

Yep, and the last 4 digits were stamped on my underware and other clothes. Hopefully they are all long gone. But since the FAA also used to use SS numbers for licenses and I?m a cfi, my SS number is floating around in a lot of pilots? logbooks.

Back