What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wife's gonna kill me

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Whelp, just a scoche over 4 years since ordering my -9A emp; ordered up the RV-8 preview plans today and you know where that leads?:D

From experience on my -9A this is what I'm thinking for second round: Ideally a light bird, no primer, tinted canopy, grove gear wheels n brakes, GPS only, Garmin panel (again), fuel injected, home brew interior w/ classic aero seats, highly modified interior ventilation and heat.

I am undecided on 320/360 and FP/CS and it would be cool to have a bush wheel setup.

I'm currently loving my restored 56 182, I've added a seaplane engine mount and exhaust and an MT propeller and its performance is very RV like, except carries a helluva lot more (and is slower and burns twice as much fuel). I can already tell the world of STCs, 337s, A&Ps, etc. is a costly endeavor.... Back to EXP for me (some day)

Last edited:
I'm currently loving my restored 56 182, I've added a seaplane engine mount and exhaust and an MT propeller and its performance is very RV like, except carries a helluva lot more (and is slower and burns twice as much fuel). I can already tell the world of STCs, 337s, A&Ps, etc. is a costly endeavor.... Back to EXP for me (some day)
An RV-10 carries about the same as a 182 and burns a lot less at a much higher speed.

An RV-10 carries about the same as a 182 and burns a lot less at a much higher speed.

I know, they carry a heavy price tag too. IMO -10s are the only RV seem to fetch above the value of the parts put in them. You sell a lot of RVs, What do you think?

Derek,

Welcome back to building! Sounds like a fun project, and I'm sure you'll knock this project off quickly. Slow build this time on the fuselage?

Well,

I broke the news to my wife; she was pretty irritated that i'd build another two-seater and kept questioning why the heck I didn't build a -10 from the start; so I briefed her on the cost delta. She still thinks a -10 is more appropriate, I guess I will sleep on it....

Just be on the lookout for a partially built RV-10 kit. That alone will help with the costs. Go easy on the panel goodies and you might be able to have one for less than you think.

Just be on the lookout for a partially built RV-10 kit. That alone will help with the costs. Go easy on the panel goodies and you might be able to have one for less than you think.

That was my problem building the 9 - in my mind the panel goodies were the place I wanted to drop some coin - then build an airplane around that to serve as life support for the panel.

Well now that I have all the panel goodies out of my system from my -9A build I have a better idea of what I actually used and what I would need second round.

- My thoughts exactly Bruce:D

Wrong thinking

Derek, I think you are looking at it all wrong. Don't go cheap or skimp out. In fact double up on everything, put in the most expensive panel you can find. G1000 maybe?

Why you ask? Cause when you are done, you will be so broke she won't have any motivation to divorce you and get nothing. Ha ha. That's what I call marriage insurance! (Kidding of course)

Last edited:
Back