What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Estimated cost to build

dhauck

I'm New Here
I know this topic can vary wildly, but I'm trying to determine what the cost to build a basic VFR RV4 aircraft. I'm thinking a fixed pitch, IO-320, basic round gauges, nothing fancy aircraft. Has anyone kept track of their build costs and be will to share?

Thanks.

My cost..25K

My -4 build was done on a very narrow budget, and not many have done it as cheap I'm sure. I have a lot of experience in the Aviation maintenance business and did everything myself except sew the seat covers. I built my engine from a run-out core, did all my paint work, not fancy, Steam gauges, fixed pitch wood O-320H2AD, 160 hp. Electric flaps, ail/elev trim. I bought all my kits new from VANs in the mid/late 90's. I have almost every receipt from the almost 15 yr. build, and I'm right at 25K. I couldn't likely do it again unless I bought older kits, as the price has gone up. My kits totaled 10.5K I beleive.

... I have almost every receipt from the almost 15 yr. build, and I'm right at 25K. ...

Impressive achievement! I spent more than that on one engine that I still have collecting dust in the corner. There are guys that spend more than that on their panel.

My cost in 2001...

Was about $65K

Airframe Kit: $10K
Engine: $25K (Factory new O-360 from Van's)
Prop: $ 5K (CS Hartzell)
Engine Acc. $ 5K (Fuel Injection, Prop Gov, Alternator, Oil Filter adapter, etc.)
Paint: $ 5K
Avionics $10K (Round gauges, GPS/COMM and Transponder)
Misc. $ 5K (Probably understated)

Total: $65K

It adds up fast...but it does take a long time to build a -4, so you will have plenty of time to save... :)

Good luck,

My cost cuts..

I saved a ton on my engine by using the O320H2AD(not most folks choice) that was nearly "given" to me from a 172 engine swap. I had cylinders overhauled by a shop, all the steel and cases inspected/tagged, I rebuilt the carb and mags myself and reassembled the engine. I bought a Sterba wood prop for $200 on Ebay and refinished it. I'm in my FWF for under 8K. As others mentioned, an RV-4 is definitely a time consuming build, nothing like the later models of RV's. There is no fast way to build them other than lots more time/patience in the shop. I had the PPG Desothane paint donated from a B737 excess paint run, and I only have about $500 into my paint job(All white) mostly the primer and solvents. You have to search and seize the bargains ..If you haven't built one before or have resources its likely cheaper to find a partially finished project or a flying one needing a bunch of TLC.

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to get an idea what is possible. I had searched the forums and couldn't find this kind of information.

Although, I was briefly distracted by the dream of an RV4 when I saw a craigslist ad for a local partial kit. Then my wife so lovingly reminded me that I need to fly now rather than in 12 years and my now mission is at least 5 seats... I will just have to continue my search for a Cherokee 6 or Lance and dream of that RV4 a little longer.

Back