What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 Windshield Canopy paint seal

mlinett

Patron
Hi:
Yesterday, I flew N408ZW through a lot of rain over WV and the paint on the canopy above the windshield chipped away. I know some RV10 builders have used ProSeal between the paint and windshield. Sikaflex and SilPruf were suggested by Vans technical support to me today. After I repaint the area I want prevent it from happening again. Does anyone have instructions on how to apply the Pro Seal, Sikaflex or SilPruf?

Thanks,
Mike

You mask, then scuff a 3/8" wide strip around the windshield, extending onto the glass. Then you get the B 1/2 proseal made for this application and apply it, using a wet (gloved) finger to create a nice filet. Then you remove the masking while the proseal is still tacky. For what it is worth, both components of the window edging proseal are black, making it harder to be sure you mixed it properly.

The overall process sounds easy. It isn't, so practice first.

Alternately, your local airplane paint shop is good at this. Might be worth dropping a few bucks to have them do it.

Proseal or equivalent is what is used on our Learjets and it protects the paint edge at 500 knots.

I plan on doing the silpruf method on the door and side windows which should prevent paint chipping there but does anyone know how do you use this method on the windshield at the bottom where you have to layer up fiberglass onto the windshield so there is no gap between edge of window and canopy?

Back