What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Panel Time

I have been flying my purchased RV6a since 2016 and am ready to finish my panel. I have upgraded parts of it but am now in the position to need to start fresh. I called builder support about buying a new panel and they told me that the new part doesn't come with holes and basically, it comes as a sheet of aluminum with a bend in it. I need a copy of the plan sheet for the instrument panel. Does anyone have one preferably a digital copy that can be emailed to me, or know how to get one?

Thanks

Van's has .dxf files for the various panel blanks at: https://www.vansaircraft.com/downloads/

Note, the Van's diagrams show the panel as a flat blank, while the actual panel has a 1" 90 degree bend on the bottom as a stiffener. The actual panel is 1" shorter than the drawing shows.

I had my panel cut by UpNorth Aviation ... I had Van's drop ship them a blank (with the bend), and then sent a .dxf with my desired layout for UpNorth to cut on their CNC. Came out perfect! They also have .pdf templates available as well: http://www.upnorthaviation.com/panel-templates.html

Last edited:
Panel blanks

Emailed the CAD file from Vans to a local water jet cutting shop. They have cut out some test blanks from thin plywood. Not expensive and allows me to make changes while working on the final layout. I will have this shop cut my panel and I will either bend the 90 on a brake or rivet on a angle

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• 4C16D90C-B1EB-4753-8805-2F8D65E4D6DB.png
    4C16D90C-B1EB-4753-8805-2F8D65E4D6DB.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 201
  • 3716F769-A10F-4B5B-94B6-E6571440BBB4.png
    3716F769-A10F-4B5B-94B6-E6571440BBB4.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 187
Since the screw hole layout in a -6 is hand layout and drill (at least mine was) and the hole spacing could be variable, you may want to mark the holes in the new panel by using the old panel for a template.

Beware

Beware of the support structure behind the panel - that'll prevent you from putting your item 'anywhere' as if on a blank slate. Also I think the tip up and slider structure back there is different.

For the older models like the 6, each one is different. Best bet is to use your old panel as a template. None of the dxf file folks have posed will be applicable. I do have a dxf for a 6 Slider, but it also won't be a perfect match.

There is also no gurantee the builder even used the vans blank to begin with. Some pictures would help to verify that.

I have been flying my purchased RV6a since 2016 and am ready to finish my panel. I have upgraded parts of it but am now in the position to need to start fresh. I called builder support about buying a new panel and they told me that the new part doesn't come with holes and basically, it comes as a sheet of aluminum with a bend in it. I need a copy of the plan sheet for the instrument panel. Does anyone have one preferably a digital copy that can be emailed to me, or know how to get one?

Thanks

Don't know if you are planning to do you entire panel cutting yourself, but if not, Bill from UpNorth aviation might be able to help. I was interested in cutting a slightly oversized -8 panel (longer by 3/4in) and ordered an oversize blank from Vans. He said it would work in a -7, -8 or -9. I suspect he has everything loaded in his computer to cut the panel with all the mounting holes for a -6 as well. He might be able to use your old panel as a template and duplicate the overall dimensions. His price was very reasonable and he worked with me on the layout over several weeks before cutting. You can drop ship the blank from Vans to him and he does the rest. http://www.upnorthaviation.com/

Easy to do yourself :)

I replaced the panel myself, as my ‘95 -6A was custom fit. I acquired a nice scrap sheet of .063” big enough for the application. In Phoenix, there is a scrap metal yard just north of Sky Harbor which has a lot of nice AL sheet, BTW. Usually, it has the red type and lot number still on it. :) The AL grain needs to run vertically for the lower edge bend. Bend against the grain. I don’t have a bending brake, but two friends have good ones. The bottom stiffening edge is about 1”. That edge depth isn’t critical. Close to 1” is good enough. Then I was back to the hangar with a metal blade in my hand jig saw for a close rough cut. A band saw works better for the cutting, though. I did lower the edge of the panel to give more panel real estate. I used a cardboard mock up to establish how low I wanted to get. Had to watch out for stick & knee clearance and enough room to get under panel for future work. Sharpies, die grinder, scotch brite disc, drill press…. and a bunch of times in & out of the -6 and I had what I needed. Cost was sweat and a six pack for the bend on my friends break. :D

You can do this :)

Attachments

• CCB7E85B-5F33-4FC1-8E02-081958BD2271.jpeg
    CCB7E85B-5F33-4FC1-8E02-081958BD2271.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 98576BB2-A06E-4B50-B154-615B3E85FB45.jpeg
    98576BB2-A06E-4B50-B154-615B3E85FB45.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 2CE0AF49-C9D8-46F5-A2BE-B235CA08D047.jpeg
    2CE0AF49-C9D8-46F5-A2BE-B235CA08D047.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 248
Wow. I love this forum. The information provided by all will make this so much easier. Lots of great ideas and advice. Thank you all

Back