What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank repai kit rivets

pa38112

Well Known Member
When I repaired my right tank I used the Vans tank repair kit and only used every other rivet. To use them all seems like over-kill given that the proseal alone could probably hold the repair cover in place. The fuel sender cover is the same size as the repair cover, and it only has 12 screws holding it on, which is how many rivits are used if you skip every other one. I just don't like drilling more holes than necessary. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I am thinking of using the rubber fuel sender gasket instead of ProSeal on the fuel sender. Do the rubber gaskets leak over time like the cork ones do?

Cheating on the rivets

I really don't see a problem with less rivets but I do see a problem with gaskets. They seem to be the source of leaks. I just Proseal everything into place and hope I don't need to get in there again. But, a heat gun and thin putty knife will get you back in there.
In my opinion, You will be having to get back in there if you use the gasket. Seen to many fail.
Just clean the beepers out of everything.
Art

Back