What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beware of 'Do Not Machine Countersink/Dimple' Instructions

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
So, I assembled the firewall and forward fuse as per plans. But, in doing so, I dimpled the skin outside the firewall flange, the shim behind the firewall flange, and machine CS the piano hinge inside the shim. Prosealed the whole thing and riveted everything together.

When I did the right side I noticed the firewall flange was not dimpled to accept the dimpled skin or to interact with the dimpled shim. Hmm....

All this because the plans clearly indicate "Do Not Dimple" the forward flange of the firewall back in Section 25.

I called tech and they agreed the plans should not indicate "Do Not Dimple" the firewall flange. They also said that by not dimpling the flange, no harm was done and to not worry about rebuilding the firewall, etc. Except the cowl might not exactly match the skin aft by the height of the dimple in the skin (about 0.025" I reckon) Good thing!

Just a heads up for those who haven't gotten this far, yet.

Just remember to pay close attention when assembling to make sure dimples and countersinks make sense.

S

Back