What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When there's no room for Clecos

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Sorry if something similar was previously submitted. It's new to me (original thought even) Sometimes, clecos get in the way; think match marking butt splice edges when skins intentionally left "long" for fit-up.These super cheap pull rivets work well. All aluminum including the stem so they drill out super easy when done. The "dome" heads pull pretty flat so their probably the only ones needed. Certainly worth having a stash for build circumstances most haven't encountered yet. It certainly cut down the iterations required with making a tight butt joint. Just a thought. Best of luck.

Attachments

• IMG_5702.jpg
    IMG_5702.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_5706.PNG
    IMG_5706.PNG
    301.8 KB · Views: 273
Aluminum flush rivets

I bought a bunch of similar flush rivets for the occasional non structural attachment where I just couldn't set a standard rivet. Pretty handy.

Only thing I’d suggest is that if you’re using a “temporary” rivet, use a read sharply and color the heads before or after you pull them, then draw a circle around ham so that you don’t forget they are temporary.

A QB kit from another company (not Van’s) has a number of things temporarily attached with cheap pops, and they have them all colored just to make sure you don’t forget them!

Paul

Paul

Good ideas, thanks! I have not previously seen pop rivets smaller than 1/8 inch at the hardware store, but did a bit more digging and found a mixed compendium of 1000 that has some.

And here's another couple of ways for temporary fastening when a cleco would get in the way:
- Put the cleco in from the other side and only the small tail will be in the way.
- For 1/8 holes, I've used countersunk machine screws and nuts.

Back