What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Amp Connectors

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone have a good place to buy the amp connectors? I found them on eBay for great price but selection is not very wide, but price is great. I know stein has them but very pricey.

Digikey

I buy them from Digikey. It helps to know the AMP part numbers so you're searching for the right parts.

i am looking for the females 1/4" ( the ones that goes on the back of the switches

Mouser or Digi-Key would be a good bet. I do think if you can find the ones you want on Ebay you are likely to get a better deal. I bought a box of 100 ring terminals for a very good price. Like you mentioned though maybe not a lot of options. BTW you want the PIDG type. They are the higher quality crimps.

TE makes a series of connectors similar to the deutsch that I haven't used but seem a little less expensive?

I've got two areas I'm thinking about on my 8. One is a wing connector and another is behind the panel. On the 14 I really liked the plugs for the wing. The fuse plugs were redundant.

Wings: no plugs, circular plug mounted in fuse, any plug wires fed into fuse, term strip in the fuse..... If I knew where to drill the hole, and the space available in the wing root I'd prefer the circular plug in the fuse side; but fear later interference with an unknown. So a free connector that I can fasten to the fuse later is safer for me. Using LED lighting so the biggest current load is the pitot heat. Hard to carry that through the typical connector that works for everything else so might just carry that separate with blade connector just for that. Or run it without connector easy to cut/resplice later if needed.

Main power from battery: I like fuses/CB more than the VPX, and it took a fair amount of real estate to home the CB on the 14. So I'm leaning to a mini-ATM fuse system not really sure where to mount it. I have a small ATM fuse box for some extra circuits in my 14 and it really has worked well, including carrying the power for my avionics off of a high quality DPST switch rated for it rather than a relay.

It's fun to read about all the different possibilities. The simplest is what is sold at BandC with a ring terminal supply, busbar to the fuses and simple blade connectors for each circuit. The pinned systems are more compact, but they don't usually have provision for a large supply wire to the whole assembly; they have blade connectors for subsets. I think that is because the auto systems have main power distribution and then quickly divide into 14AWG subcircuits which is different from what we might want with an all-in-one setup.

Back