What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Homebuilt Camping at SNF 2017

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
Please pardon my ignorance, but I cannot find anything on the SNF website about HBC. Can someone enlighten me? Could just be the morning fog....:rolleyes:

Yes. It will be one of the finest camping experiences you will have. Mary Jane and her crack crew make it feel like one big family reunion all week.

Vic

Yes. It will be one of the finest camping experiences you will have. Mary Jane and her crack crew make it feel like one big family reunion all week.Vic

Yes indeed.

Now if we could just get the S&F mullahs to drag in a decent shower trailer.....

Yes. It will be one of the finest camping experiences you will have. Mary Jane and her crack crew make it feel like one big family reunion all week.

Vic

This is what I hear, but WHERE do you get info about it? Are there any pre-registrations or just show up?

This is what I hear, but WHERE do you get info about it? Are there any pre-registrations or just show up?

Hi Anthony,
I may see you there. I usually just fly in on Thursday & Friday, but may opt to camp out on Thursday. I've had so much fun at HBC Oshkosh, I thought I'd try SNF HBC.

Check out this link for info.
http://www.flysnf.org/rv-tent-camping/
Scroll down to Aircraft camping.

Last edited:

I don't ever remember preregistering, although I have vague memories of answering posts here that we would be attending. Not necessary though. When you land, be sure to have your sign for HBC (homebuilt camping) and you will guided to the right spot.

Amen on the showers, Dan!

Vic

It's right at the far, East end of the show area. A bit further to walk to the event, but a more peaceful area to camp. You'll be well looked after. Leave camp chairs and tables behind; that's all supplied. Chip in to the kitty for basic breakfast and dining.

The showers are a short walk away. Except in 2011 when the tornado lifted and dumper them 100 yards closer. Fortunately they weren't in use at the time!

Best place to be at SNF. Hope to see you there!

Yes, more and better showers

I agree, we need more and better showers near HBC.
If only we could get the triple tree showers at SnF. They are the best showers for that type of event!

Even if we could just get hooks and benches that would be great!

Rosemarie and I are planning to fly down Sat morning April 8th and camp that night. We iook forward to meeting many of you there. Does one have to pre-register to camp on the HBC?

No need to pre register

You can take care of all that after you park in HBC. There will be a golf cart or van with a registration sign on top wave them down and they will take all the money that you want to give them :)
You will be able to purchase your admission tickets from them also.

Very good experience

Last year was my first year flying to Sun N Fun. All the descriptions of HBC were spot on. I arrived the Sunday night before the show and was greeted with a dinner of Burger King burgers and fries. No need to register but it does get busy once the show actually starts. The atmosphere is nice and laid back. As already stated donate to the kiddy and get a basic breakfast and dinner each night. Water, soda and some beer included. Lots of great people to meet and great planes to ogle over. HBC is a longer walk to the main show area but the tram runs right by the camping area.

New guy question about HBC

Several posts mentioned contributions to the kitty. What's that about and who is in charge? I don't want to haul extra stuff if I don't need it.

Also looking forward to meeting the RV attenders so I can steal all your good ideas and finally finish this darn plane. :p

In the tent

There is one family that volunteers and takes care of the HBC area. They park the planes in the area, and can help you to find anything that you need.
There is a big covered area with tables and chairs and power. They bring in the things and have a contribution jar there.

Landing for HBC

I assume the active runway at SnF will be 9-27(my 1st time). What taxi route is used for HBC?

Several posts mentioned contributions to the kitty. What's that about and who is in charge? I don't want to haul extra stuff if I don't need it.

Also looking forward to meeting the RV attenders so I can steal all your good ideas and finally finish this darn plane. :p

One of the things that make SNF a great experience is that Mary Jane provides breakfast munchies, ice water, cokes, beer and dinner on a few evenings.
She does it on a donation basis. I believe some items are provided by SNF but she does the rest. It is so nice to not have to bring a cooler with water, ice and beer.

Made it to Moultrie

Well we got this far but I don't think anyone will be going any further till Thursday. I think I'll be turning around and heading home, in a few hours. :-(
The weather that was there this morning is still there.

It seems to me that a quick jaunt out into the gulf, and Bob's your uncle!

The airplane flies just fine over water ;).

ADIZ

Weather looks far enough out to pick up some friends. Can you just file through without customs etc?

Last edited:
I have flown through some pretty heavy rain but I don't think I would venture into this one. Not even around it looks good.

Very unusual wx pattern. We're getting strong & gusty winds from the south that's preventing that line from sinking south. I'm near Clearwater.

I was going to do Thursday/Friday, but may opt for Wednesday/Friday as the forecast predicts morning rain on Thursday. I'm not sure whether it's from this line or not. Wait & see.

What worries me is that this is the kind of line of storms that spawned the tornado a few years ago. Coming right off the gulf.

Last edited:
Sitting with a bunch of hopefuls at Perry Foley airport. Waiting for a break in the storm conveyor belt. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Hope to see you all soon!

Sun N Fun

I went there today (from Brookville FL.) but left before the airshow because the weather appeared to be moving South faster than forecasted. Glad I did as the weather at KBKV turned bad real fast....

Very unusual wx pattern. We're getting strong & gusty winds from the south that's preventing that line from sinking south. I'm near Clearwater.

I was going to do Thursday/Friday, but may opt for Wednesday/Friday as the forecast predicts morning rain on Thursday. I'm not sure whether it's from this line or not. Wait & see.

What worries me is that this is the kind of line of storms that spawned the tornado a few years ago. Coming right off the gulf.

Hope to see some of you Friday

Coming in to Tampa on Thursday PM. Driving so no HBC for us. Would like to put some names to faces. Friday seems to be forecast as clear and cool. Praying for a good day. I know I'll meet up with Steve Ashby sometime. Text if you are available. Mine is 912-429-5761.

Well we got this far but I don't think anyone will be going any further till Thursday. I think I'll be turning around and heading home, in a few hours. :-(
The weather that was there this morning is still there.

For those of you looking at Thursday, take a look at the winds. Surface winds here in N. GA are supposed to be nasty.

This is looking like a good year to leave the 9 in a hanger in Noth west Georgia. That line of rain from the west into the main land looks exactly like the year I went down in a camper and watched a tornado go thru the campground

Back home

Well I'm back home. I basically paid $200 to get a pizza in Moultrie, GA today. 784 miles, about 6 hrs flying and about 7 hours sitting and waiting. No Sun-n-Fun for me this year. Will I do it again, well yea! I'm sure there will be very few flying in until Thursday afternoon.

Last edited:

Dan-

Hope to see you tomorrow. We have Oshkosh beer tasting to plan. Only about 23 in HBC as of today.

I was planning on leaving on Sunday, but decided to smash my figure on Friday instead. Looks like the weather would have stopped me anyway. Don't tell anyone, but I prayed for bad weather after smashing my figure so I would not feel as bad.

I'll be leaving early Friday morning to beat the crowds in. Staying until sunday. Should be a short 2 hour flight from the panhandle in the -6.

Sitting with a bunch of hopefuls at Perry Foley airport. Waiting for a break in the storm conveyor belt. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Hope to see you all soon!

You're a long way from home Mark. I bet you encountered some interesting WX along the way. Straight line winds, tornadoes, TSRA.

I wanted to go but the weather demotivated me. Maybe next year.

Back