What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 for MS Flight Simulator 2020?

Would you be interested in an RV-12 model for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020?

• Yes!

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • Yes, and I'd be willing to donate to help make it happen!

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Not really my thing.

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters

BobbyLucas

Well Known Member
I'm wondering if Van's is working with anyone to develop an RV12-iST for MSFS 2020? Seems it would be a great opportunity for visibility and would complement the use of the plane in flight schools.

I don't know what it would cost to have one of the developers create one, but I'd be willing to look into it if there's enough interest.

Last edited:
I guess I should've made the poll answers public, but I thought I would still be able to see the results myself?

Could anyone who voted "willing to donate" please post here so I know who to contact if we move forward? (Or send a PM if you want to remain anonymous.)

Thanks!

P.S. I also sent an email to Greg Hughes at Van's.

I would really like to see this too!

I guess I should've made the poll answers public, but I thought I would still be able to see the results myself?

Could anyone who voted "willing to donate" please post here so I know who to contact if we move forward? (Or send a PM if you want to remain anonymous.)

Thanks!

P.S. I also sent an email to Greg Hughes at Van's.

Love the idea - someone please add virtual RV's to MSFS2020

Great idea! Ironically, I'm on a virtual FS2020 flight right now. (virtual-flying in one screen and lurking in this forum on a 2nd screen).

Van's marketing dept should consider offering RV add-on aircraft to this sim!
I would buy the add-on for a reasonable price.

If you're not into sims, let me tell you, they've come a long, long way since I used to fly 14 yrs ago. I love the realism, I love flying IFR approaches and really sharpen my IFR understanding flying a few approaches almost daily.

For those of you using Foreflight, or Flight Plan Go as your EFB, you'll be happy to know they work in the virtual world as well. I pull up all my sectionals, approach charts, route, metars, weather, etc...all available on my iPad - same as real-world flying. My airplane icon moves along the moving map on my iPad just as would in real life. The airplane icon also moves along the IFR approach plates as well. Bonus: if you chose FltPlanGo - it is free!

I never flew behind glass when I was current. Now, I'm loving it. The virtual 172 I'm in offers the G1000 variant and I'm currently using the other one with the Garmin GNS 530 and 430 installed. I would -love- to fly a virtual RV-12 with Dynon system and learn that one as well. Great idea!

Great idea! Ironically, I'm on a virtual FS2020 flight right now. (virtual-flying in one screen and lurking in this forum on a 2nd screen).

Van's marketing dept should consider offering RV add-on aircraft to this sim!
I would buy the add-on for a reasonable price.

If you're not into sims, let me tell you, they've come a long, long way since I used to fly 14 yrs ago. I love the realism, I love flying IFR approaches and really sharpen my IFR understanding flying a few approaches almost daily.

For those of you using Foreflight, or Flight Plan Go as your EFB, you'll be happy to know they work in the virtual world as well. I pull up all my sectionals, approach charts, route, metars, weather, etc...all available on my iPad - same as real-world flying. My airplane icon moves along the moving map on my iPad just as would in real life. The airplane icon also moves along the IFR approach plates as well. Bonus: if you chose FltPlanGo - it is free!

I never flew behind glass when I was current. Now, I'm loving it. The virtual 172 I'm in offers the G1000 variant and I'm currently using the other one with the Garmin GNS 530 and 430 installed. I would -love- to fly a virtual RV-12 with Dynon system and learn that one as well. Great idea!

I agree, MSFS 2020 is pretty awesome. I've only been through the training missions so far, but man is it accurate from what I remember from my C152 training two years ago.

I never completed my private pilot cert, but I plan on getting my sport pilot in my 12 when it's complete. I'm hoping the VR takes the sim to the next level, so I can use it to supplement my training. I've ordered an Oculus Quest 2 and a new Alienware PC for it.

Fingers crossed we can get some momentum for an RV-12 sim!

In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have offered a "no" option in the poll. :p:D

That'd make it a real valid poll then, don't you think? :(

You want steak, or Soylent Green?

You want Miracle Whip, or real whipped cream on your pumpkin pie?

You want an inflatable doll or a woman as a flight attendant, or lover?

Is it a little more clear why you include all options in a poll, now? So you do represent all interests involved?

Shaking my head, what they aren't teaching kids in universities today.

I'd think Van's would want you buying, building and flying their kit planes, not GameBoying the experience, but, then, the gaming world on a screen didn't exist when I first flew private aircraft.

Last edited:
That'd make it a real valid poll then, don't you think? :(

You want steak, or Soylent Green?

You want Miracle Whip, or real whipped cream on your pumpkin pie?

You want an inflatable doll or a woman as a flight attendant, or lover?

Is it a little more clear why you include all options in a poll, now? So you do represent all interests involved?

Shaking my head, what they aren't teaching kids in universities today.

I'd think Van's would want you buying, building and flying their kit planes, not GameBoying the experience, but, then, the gaming world on a screen didn't exist when I first flew private aircraft.

Geez Niner, grumpy much? :p Not sure I needed polls explained to me, but I always appreciate a Soylent Green reference. ;) Anyway, that post was largely intended to be tongue-in-cheek, hence the smilies, but in all honesty there's no real point in the "no" answer in this instance... I merely want to gauge interest and see who might join a crowdfunding effort if necessary. It's not like if enough people vote no then it invalidates everyone who is interested. The number of people not-interested is simply irrelevant here. Get it?

Joining you in shaking my head, but no hard feelings. :D

Last edited:
There's a small community of flight sim modelers out there that have worked/are working on RV models. No specific information to share, but it is "a thing" and we hope you'll see an RV or two in MSFS one day!

Back