What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview network crashes

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
I had some troubling issues with my Skyview HDX on my way into Lafayette, IN this evening. I had 5 or 6 losses of functionality, all of them losing the ADAHRS and autopilot. Most of them also dropped my EMS and map as well, I also saw the transponder drop once, maybe more. The drops lasted anywhere from a few seconds to a long time (seemed like it, I was on final). The yellow caution lit up the first time with a ?standby network? error and stayed on until shutdown.

This happened at a bad time and I must say I impressed myself by having a great landing without MAP being available. I immediately switched my AVMAP Ultra to PFD, set the barometer so that I had IAS and altitude. Good confidence booster, I can always use that. It even happened on a straight in approach which has gotten the best of me in the past.

I checked the Skyview network cables on the back of my display and all looked good. Since it is now weekend and still have 2 days flying to get home (and 3 days to do it in), I was hoping someone might have some tips.

This trip has been a massive adventure, I?d like a normal day again but not sure what that looks like.

Claude, you need to be on the phone with Dynon tech support. They will want you to download some files and send them. Since you have been flying this system for a year, it is unlikely to be a simple wiring problem.
Years ago I had a button panel for the autopilot fail. It shorted one set of network wires. The other set worked for everything but the autopilot. I disconnected the cable to the button panel and everything worked again. When the board in the button panel failed, everything quit for a couple seconds. Not saying this is what happened to yours, just my experience.
A little trouble shooting on my own, I knew the button panel was the culprit. Dynon still wanted to see the files, asked for the unit back, and replace the board. Sorry you are stuck in the middle of a multiday trip.

Dave got it right. Please contact our Tech Support folks and we will help. Downloading the SkyView Diagnostics File will be a huge benefit.
-Robert
Dynon

I did grab the troubleshooting files before shutting down and I?ll be contacting Dynon about it on Monday. I thought there was a good chance that a full reset would clear the issue, I checked my network status before starting up this morning. Two 3 hour legs today have not presented the issue again, so I hope it?s a one time thing. I will follow up nevertheless.

A few years back, I had the same network error. After tearing my wiring apart and finding nothing, I concluded it was the engine monitor black box. Called Dynon, they were not convinced. I finally sent the box in for testing at my own expense. Dynon finally confirmed it was their box that was the problem and they covered it under warranty.

They have better error logging now so hopefully they can find your problem quickly but don?t rule out a component failure.

Back