What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv10 ifr training

rvdave

Well Known Member
Currently undergoing ifr training in my rv10 but it looks like I?m having trouble lining up a dar or examiner for a check ride once completing training. None want to do it in an experimental airplane in my area. Any known examiners in midwest that will give checkride in my airplane? No sure yet if faa could be persuaded?

Well, I know of one but CA is a long way for you. And, she?s booked up 2 months in advance (not sure why there?s suddenly no one available within a reasonable time). The FAA?s attitude seems to be that if it can be done in a standard catagory airplane, they won?t go out of their way to help you. Except for mandated initial cfi rides, I haven?t heard of FSDO inspectors giving check rides to GA for a long time.

Currently undergoing ifr training in my rv10 but it looks like I?m having trouble lining up a dar or examiner for a check ride once completing training. None want to do it in an experimental airplane in my area. Any known examiners in midwest that will give checkride in my airplane? No sure yet if faa could be persuaded?

I used Gail in Chicago. She did a check ride in my 6 and i know she did one in a 10 as well. I forget her last name. Shouldn?t be hard to find as there are only a couple active in the area.

You might try talking with Christine Mortine. She's a recently minted DPE in the central Ohio area. Her website is: https://www.christinemortine.com/

While she doesn't own any experimentals, she hangs out with quite a few of us that do fly them. I talked with her a few weeks ago about getting a commercial rating. She is flying Young Eagles for me in a couple weeks. Feel free to drop my name if you reach out to her.

bob

Today passed my ifr check ride in my 10. First rv10 the examiner had flown in, was impressed with what we get for the money vs. Cirrus, Columbia, even the high priced Cessnas he flies in. He does a lot of check rides for the local college here.
Had a slight glitch to overcome regarding partial panel, he?s used to g1000 or steam but not the experimental glass. Since I was able to duplicate on another screen primary instruments when covering up ai he thought that wasnt acceptable for acs standards . He learned something about IR.VII.D.R1 that ?use of secondary flight displays when primary displays have failed? allows a complete secondary efis to qualify as a true secondary backup.
Now looking forward to the 10 opening up more adventure.

I had a similar issue with my IFR check ride in the RV-10 (RV-10s and glass were both new at that time). I took the time explain to the examiner that each SkyView display had independent power feed (one from each battery) and that the dual ADHARS modules translated to close to zero odds that both displays would fail at the same time. He settle on partial panel being defined as the pilot side SkyView EFIS failed (I turned it off) and I had to do the approach on the remaining display. In short - a non-event.

From that day on every cross country has been filed IFR. The IFR ticket open up a lot of new doors for me.

Carl

Just for others' benefit: The front part of the ACS (nee PTS) has a discussion on what is acceptable for the partial panel approach required when in a technologically advanced airplane; it is essentially what the previous posts say. But some examiners feel better seeing it in writing.

And, congratulations, Dave.

Back