What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Struts - better to leave doors open or closed?

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
I love my -10. In almost four years the only maintenance expense except for ELT batteries, oil and filters has been a set of struts.

Another thread about struts made me think about how to leave the doors while in a hanger. If the doors are left open does it reduce the internal pressure and perhaps increase life? Or is it the movement when opening and closing the doors that is the problem?

Perhaps we have someone who knows how these things are made and what causes them to go soft.

It might reduce the pressure, but it would also leave the rod exposed to collect moisture and debris - neither of which will help your cylinder life either.

Entropy happens.....

Don

I leave mine open in the hangar, mainly because I don't want to smash the door seals all the time.

Not sure which is better for the strut, but I think a strut replacement will be easier than a door seal replacement...

For what it's worth, I leave mine open in the hangar too. Not that I have any science to back it up, but figure it has got to be easier for everything involved if they aren't under a permanent state of compression.

Leaving the door open may or may not increase the strut life. Just bought 2 struts for about $15 including shipping. Oops, when I opened the box found I bought two sets. Four struts, $15! Shut your door and keep the dust out.

Most strut applications normally leave the strut in a compressed state. I am confident that they are designed to support that and would doubt any additional life could be found by leaving them extended. I would expect that the number or extension / compression cycles is far more of a factor. You could probably extend their life by never opening or closing your door.:rolleyes:

Larry

There have been some mentions on here about the orientation of struts and how they spend most of their life. The energy was around the seal on the shaft and the oil that is inside of the strut. The advice was to orient the strut in an manner that allows the seal to be on the end that has the oil most of the time.

Maybe this is applicable here?

Save more $$$

If you don't fly your plane so much your tires and plugs will last much longer too. ;-) I bought my -10 to use, and the cost of maintenance is part of it. The cost of strut replacement pales compared to the other "consumables" of aircraft ownership. FYI, I leave my doors closed but not latched in my hangar.

-Marc

Last edited:
Point to ponder. The struts and seals are purposed application - unlike accessories selected from catalogs or copied from this forum.

Not weighing in one way or the other, just adding perspective.

FWIW

There have been some mentions on here about the orientation of struts and how they spend most of their life. The energy was around the seal on the shaft and the oil that is inside of the strut. The advice was to orient the strut in an manner that allows the seal to be on the end that has the oil most of the time.

Maybe this is applicable here?

Orientation, at least for the bainsbach struts, is important for dampening at the end of the extension cycle. The strut is designed to only dampen the end of the extension cycle if it is oriented with the body up/piston down at the end of the extension. Unsure if this also helps the seal. Installed the other way, the door will continue to accelerate all the way through the opening cycle, which could put a lot of stress on the doors if the struts are powerfull enough, relative to the door weight.

Larry

Ill give you a real good reason not to leave them open unattended.

I had my pilot side door open, stock vans strut, I was in the process of poking my head in to retrieve my ipad when the door came crashing down on my back. The strut seal must have totally failed and released the gas in a micro second. Had I not been in the way and the door slammed inot the frame, it would have probably done significant damage.
I never leave the doors open........

++1 on what Bill said.

I never leave the door open if I'm not right next to it, even in the hangar. Had the same policy with my tip up RV7A.

Gary

Back