What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall Warning Adjustment

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
The Production Acceptance Procedure instructions say "If the warning comes on too soon then the vane should be adjusted up slightly. If the warning comes on too close to the stall, then the vane should be adjusted down."

In trying to visualize the airflow over the wing and vane, this seems backwards to me. Can anyone explain in simple terms how the vane works?

Tony

Last edited:
The Production Acceptance Procedure instructions say "If the warning comes on too soon then the vane should be adjusted up slightly. If the warning comes on too close to the stall, then the vane should be adjusted down."

In trying to visualize the airflow over the wing and vane, this seems backwards to me. Can anyone explain in simple terms how the vane works?

Tony

Looks like you found a typo that know one has mentioned...
It is backwards.

"If the warning comes on too close to the stall, then the vane should be adjusted Up."

So bending the warning tab UP will make the warning come on at a higher airspeed, ABOVE the stall speed?

In other words, it will warn you farther in advance, at a higher airspeed, before a stall occurs?

"If the warning comes on too close to the stall, then the vane should be adjusted Up."

So bending the warning tab UP will make the warning come on at a higher airspeed, ABOVE the stall speed?

In other words, it will warn you farther in advance, at a higher airspeed, before a stall occurs?

That is correct.

What revision of the PAP are you guys referencing? Mine is revision 2, dated 11/15/18, and page F0-3 says "If the warning comes on too soon then the vane should be adjusted down slightly." Red text added by me.

What revision of the PAP are you guys referencing? Mine is revision 2, dated 11/15/18, and page F0-3 says "If the warning comes on too soon then the vane should be adjusted down slightly." Red text added by me.

This is correct. Bending it down silences it until closer to, at, or below stall speed.

Stall horn comes on later when landing, less margin of warning before you stall, when you bend it DOWN.

That is correct.

I need to adjust my RV9A stall warner so that it sounds earlier than it does. As i understand it I therefore need to bend it up, can Scott or someone knowledgeable post the best method to use for the actual bending, and approximately how much to bend for say 5kts sooner activation of the warning.

At present mine is warning at the actual stall, and I'd like it at or just before the buffet. I don't want to excessively over bend it and then end up having to bend it back down, I appreciate it may need a slight tweak or two after bending though.

Many thanks in advance
Nige

If the stall switch is the same on the 9 as the 12, the stall vein operates a microswitch, which is adjustable via screws. To reduce the chance of moving the switch out of a ligament, I insert a thin metal strap - actually a piece of the banding material from one of the shipments - in the opening between the vein and the wing cutout on the side in which I want to bend the vein. If it does get out of alignment, you’ll have to remove the access panel below the stall warning vein, loosen the screws on the microswitch, readjust and retighten the screws. See KAI section 16, attached.

Attachments

• 6AB51415-EF38-45BD-9B3B-5B21AD4DAA29.jpg
    6AB51415-EF38-45BD-9B3B-5B21AD4DAA29.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 235
If the stall switch is the same on the 9 as the 12, the stall vein operates a microswitch, which is adjustable via screws. To reduce the chance of moving the switch out of a ligament, I insert a thin metal strap - actually a piece of the banding material from one of the shipments - in the opening between the vein and the wing cutout on the side in which I want to bend the vein. If it does get out of alignment, you’ll have to remove the access panel below the stall warning vein, loosen the screws on the microswitch, readjust and retighten the screws. See KAI section 16, attached.

Thanks Bob that sounds like a good method, I don’t suppose you’ve any knowledge of how much adjustment needed for a 5kt ish adjustment? I’m guessing a degree or two but any inside knowledge most welcome

My copy (rev 13, Oct 2020) has same typo.

Crazy coincidence that I happened to notice this same detail I wasn't even looking for, on the same day that someone else replied to a 12 year old thread.

Thanks Bob that sounds like a good method, I don’t suppose you’ve any knowledge of how much adjustment needed for a 5kt ish adjustment? I’m guessing a degree or two but any inside knowledge most welcome

No, sorry, it’s pretty much trial and error. On my first flight, mine was going off the 70 kts! Quite annoying.

Had to replace my stall warning microswitch; obtained new one from Van's. Remounted the bracket in the exact same position. Flew. Warning came on too early; adjusted down per this thread. Multiple adjustments have been required, making very small bends. After this last adjustment, it starts going off at liftoff and stays on the entire flight. ??!?$%?*
Ideas from the collective?
I'm thinking the vane tab may have bent up/curved inside the wing, thus activating the switch arm too soon?

Adjust tab UP to increase the speed the stall warning indicator comes on, ie at higher air speed = greater safety margin.

Adjust tab DOWN to lower the speed at which the stall speed indicator comes on, ie at lower air speed with less margin of safety between warning and stalling and possibly falling out of the sky= thinner safety margin.

I'm thinking the vane tab may have bent up/curved inside the wing, thus activating the switch arm too soon?

The method I described in post #11 works for me. Inserting something in the gap between the stall-warning vein and the edge of the wing cutout prevented the vein from bending inside the wing and keeps the bending force off the microswitch.

I had reviewed the thread before I did anything the first time but thanks to those who clarified. Used a shim to hold the tab in place within the slot and adjusted again. Worked better; not going off the whole time anyway. Will keep tweaking.

You could (if you have not) install and calibrate the AOA system and then forget about the stall warning. Most would say its a lot better than the stall warning.

Back