What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One-Man Wing Rigger - POLL

Interested in getting an RV-12 Wing Rigger?

• Yes

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • No

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stuart Grant

First let me say that I haven't put the wings on my RV-12 kit yet, but I am now working on flight controls and it must be done soon. I had a one-man wing rigger for my glider that I used to install and remove 90-pound, 25-foot long glider wings many hundreds of times. With practice it was relatively easy to use on my own.

In theory, having a one-man rigger would allow you to remove your RV-12 wings for easier storage of the airplane and for transport. I have contacted MM Fabrications, a New Mexico company that fabricates riggers for gliders (see photo). They do not now have a rigger that would work for the RV-12 but may be willing to make one. The wing cradle height is adjustable and pivots so the wing can be rotated leading edge down to maneuver the wing around. There are many videos on YouTube showing how they are used.

Instead of a cradle it may be possible to use a padded clamp through the RV-12 wingtip handle. Glider wing riggers usually breakdown into smaller parts for compact storage - like in the trunk of a car or maybe the RV-12 baggage area.

Taking the wings off and storing them on a wing stand may be a way to get 2 or 3 RV-12's into a T-hangar. At one point in my life I used to layout how to position airliners at terminal gates and how Gulfstreams fit in box hangar designs, so once I find some T-hangar plans or dimensions I will see if 2 or 3 is possible.

Rian Johnson expressed interest is selling them through the Van's web store. Based on the price of glider wing riggers, my guess is that the cost would be at least $1,400.

Anybody interested?

Edited to include poll. Thanks Paul! and to show a quick study of what storage might be possible using extreme care and maybe wheel dolly/roller skates under gear wheels.

Attachments

• MMFabrications-Rigger.JPG
    MMFabrications-Rigger.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 203
  • RV-12-Storage-Examples.jpg
    RV-12-Storage-Examples.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
If you want to actually add a poll to your thread, you can click on “Thread Tools” in the bar above your post, then “Add a poll”, and fill in the blanks to give folks choices. Instead of a general discussion, you’ll get actual data from folks on their interest….

(BTW, I have a motorglider “wing-rigger” that was given to me by a previous owner of the same type of glider - he built it out of square tubing, HF wheel, plywood, and carpet. I have yet to try it - have always had some airpark neighbors around when it came time to mount wings….)

Last edited:
I would wonder if a wing rigger for a RV-12 could make good use of the wing tie-down point, rather than hooking around the trailing edge the way these are designed.

I assume the longer chord of the RV-12 would significantly increase the size of the wing cradle portion. Using the tie-down point would allow the cradle to end at about the spar.

It would definitely be possible to mount something directly to the threaded hole, possible even use an installed eyebolt tie-down.

Wing Rigger Options

No talk yet about using the tiedown point but using a padded clamp through the wingtip handles is being considered. MM Fabrication and Van's want to know if there is enough of a market so PLEASE answer the poll. My glider rigger was "homemade" and did not have the ability for fine adjustments that make the wings go in easy. I like building stuff but having a manufactured rigger is certain to make life easier. Glider wing riggers usually have the ability to move in and out from the fuselage along the wing to help balance. MM Fabrication has made LOTS of wing riggers and if there is a market they will make one for the RV-12 that is easy to use and relatively stable, with less chance of damage from wind gusts when used outside.

I would wonder if a wing rigger for a RV-12 could make good use of the wing tie-down point, rather than hooking around the trailing edge the way these are designed.

I assume the longer chord of the RV-12 would significantly increase the size of the wing cradle portion. Using the tie-down point would allow the cradle to end at about the spar.

It would definitely be possible to mount something directly to the threaded hole, possible even use an installed eyebolt tie-down.

About ten years or so ago one of the early RV-12 builders explored various devices that enabled one person to remove and store the wings. As I recall, the wing was slid out 6" or so, a wheeled tilting dolly was attached the the spar tang, the wing was then pulled free of the fuselage, rotated to a leading edge down position, and wheeled away to its storage site. I believe the description and photos were on this VAF site although I haven't been able to locate that thread. I would be leary of using the top/bottom wing tiedown points for any loading bearing purpose. Also, IMHO $1,400 for such a device seems a bit pricey.

Years ago, when I was the East Coast Rep and had custody of a couple of RV-12s, I could easily remove the wings and move them about the hangar by myself.

After removing the pins, I would go to the wing tip and pull the wing out about two feet. Just enough to let the wing tip go to the floor with the spar still resting on the fuselage roller. I would rest the wing tip on a creeper and go to the wing root, grab the spar and pull it out the rest of the way, pushing the wing rolling on the creeper, holding the spar until over a waiting blanket on the floor. Off load it and get the other one. I couldn't put them in wing racks unless I had some help. However, with them resting flat, on a blanket, away from the airplane was good enough for me. Reverse the procedure to reinstall.

I did it countless times making maintenance a whole lot easier.

I once had a Moni motorglider and would remove/install the wings by myself. This week, with guidance from an experienced -12 owner, I removed and replaced the wings on my -12.

While they are bigger and heavier than my Moni's, the actual installation is easier. I think a one-man rig could work well except that you'd need two devices and in my hangar, at least, castoring wheels like the front of a supermarket cart so you could move them around well.

The careful part for the -12 was to get the wings right in pitch, sweep and roll, so to speak. It's not hard with two people but for one person it would benefit from some well thought out brackets to keep everything aligned nicely.

A good plan view DXF of the single wing with spar would be super helpful for designing this.

It would be really great if it included the CG location for the individual wing assembly.

Based on MLock's description, it seems like something like a padded low table would be the ideal tool for removing a wing.

My thought would be something like a wing stand, but it stores the wings Leading edge down, and top-to-top as opposed to the more common bottom-to-bottom.

Then, the stand has some kind of fold out surface that lets you pivot the wing flat, and slide the spar in either by rolling the apparatus, or sliding the wing on a padded surface or roller.

Solo Wing Rigger Video

In case anybody wants to see how they work, here is a 2-1/2 minute video of a wing rigger being used to put wings on a glider. The rigger in the video has a wireless remote control that can adjust the height and lateral position of the wing slightly to make it easier to align holes for the pins. In my experience it is usually pretty easy to tweak glider wing position manually. PLEASE RESPOND TO THE POLL!:):confused:

https://youtu.be/ELZenqo6PCI

Last edited:
Wing-Rigger Prototype Testing - RV-12s in Albuquerque

Attached are photos of the prototype RV-12 single-handed wing rigger that Mark Mocho wants to test. Mark is in Moriarty, NM and he asked me to help him contact RV-12 owners in New Mexico. Per his check of the FAA Aircraft Registration Database Devin Luna and Brandon Fryar, both in Albuquerque are only 30 miles from Moriarty and he is willing to drive (or fly?) there to test. Anybody have contact info for Devin or Brandon or are you guys reading this thread? You can send me a PM or just contact Mark via email or phone his info is at MM Fabrication https://www.mmfabrication.com/

If you haven't already, please vote on the POLL.

Thanks,

Stuart

Attachments

• RV-12a.jpg
    RV-12a.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 142
  • RV-12b.jpg
    RV-12b.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 122
  • RV-12c.jpg
    RV-12c.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 103
Looks like it has some potential! A few unsolicited thoughts:

Need to install a device to immobilize the flaperon in a neutral position during wing withdrawal / insertion process -- either a flaperon capture device installed at the top of the trolley or a keeper installed in the slot between the outboard end of the flaperon and the wing tip.

The wing pivot point on the trolley should be located near the chordwise CG of the wing to facilitate wing balance and mobility.

Alternatively the spar tang could be slightly withdrawn from the fuselage and the trolley simply clamped to the exposed spar tang.

In any event it appears that a secondary device (e.g. padded sawhorse, small U-shaped wing rack, etc.) will be needed to better support the removed wing in storage.

Poll Closes Friday June 23, 2023 Noon EDT

Having clips to hold the flaperon centered will be a must. I think Mark from MM can make them out of the same formed 0.125 aluminum and wool felt as he is using for the cradle. Getting the upright centered on the cradle so it is at or near the wing CG is important. Mark has built hundreds of these things and will get it working right before selling it.

The wing-rigger is meant for use during the removal and insertion process and you will still need to transfer one end of the wing at a time to a wing storage rack, table, sawhorses, stands or whatever. The MM Fabrication website describes the internal gas spring, bearings, adjustment knobs, metal finishes, etc. that he typically uses. He makes quality stuff that is as easy as possible to use and meant to last.

Poll closes a week from this posting. Please vote - even if it is a definite no, Mark is trying to figure out a percentage of 12 owners who might be interested. That info will probably also be looked at by Van's who expressed interest in selling it on their web store.

Wing Rigger Moving Forward - Oshkosh

Thank you to those who voted the poll and other 12-owner/builders for reading.
The poll is now closed.

Mark Mocho did a test fit of the rigger on an RV-8A as it has the same airfoil. At least one adjustment is needed. He will be at Oshkosh and hopes to find a 12 (maybe at Van's Display?) to use as a test subject so that he can actually check how well it operates.

I will post when I get mine, hopefully not long after Oshkosh.

I learned that Mark made 35 glider trailers many years ago and he is giving me some good input on the custom enclosed RV-12 trailer that I hope to purchase - being discussed in another thread in this RV-12 Forum.

Wing Rigger Update - Post Oshkosh

News from Mark Mocho of MM Fabrications NM is that the RV-12 single-handed wing rigger was tested at the Van's booth at Oshkosh and it worked really well. Mark said he will make 2 minor modifications and then do an initial production run of 5. I have sent my check for the non-powder-coated prototype. It seems that the riggers will be available through the Van's web store, probably in about 2 months. Attached are a couple of really terrible thumbnail photos taken by Van's staff at the booth during the test.

Attachments

• IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 166
I have slid my wings back and supported them with a saw horse to gain access
to my headset jacks, what I found useful was to take a sharpie pen and make slip marks before removing the wings so I have a visual point when trying to re align for installing the pins

I have slid my wings back and supported them with a saw horse to gain access
to my headset jacks, what I found useful was to take a sharpie pen and make slip marks before removing the wings so I have a visual point when trying to re align for installing the pins

???

The design of the RV-12 has the wings sitting in the proper position for installing the pins (other than a bit of compression of the root seals) when both wings are fully inserted but not yet pinned, so I’m not sure what marks you would need.

Scott, trying to insert the wing pins takes two people, there is a bit of movement needed, I was doing it solo with saw horse support, it's not easy, sometimes I've had to raise or lower the wing for the bushings to line up. Same thing on my friends RV12. However with to people it works out better.

Scott, trying to insert the wing pins takes two people, there is a bit of movement needed, I was doing it solo with saw horse support, it's not easy, sometimes I've had to raise or lower the wing for the bushings to line up. Same thing on my friends RV12. However with to people it workout better.

I was curious about your pen mark comment….
It is sometimes helpful to have a second person if the fit is overly tight on the wing root seals but on most RV-12s I have been able to do it by myself.
If it always took two people, this solo wing install device would be of no value.

Some aircraft are more challenging than others, I've heard of guys have to use tail pipe expanders and or cargo straps...recently I had to slide my wings back to access the head phone jacks, all I had was a couple saw horses, it took me awhile to get the pins back in by myself.

More Info on MM Fabrication's Rigger...

I got a message from Mark Mocho that my single-handed wing rigger (the prototype) will be shipped tomorrow. He has seen the posts here and wants me to mention that the rigger has a gas spring in the column that makes adjusting the height easy as the spring carries most of the wing weight and you just adjust up or down and turn the big knob to lock-it. It also has lateral adjustment with a hardened chrome axle and linear bearings. I am sure it will take a bit of practice before it becomes easy but once you get the hang of it it should be pretty quick. Lots of glider pilots put the wings on and off every time they fly with much longer, heavier wings using these devices.

First Test Fit of Wings

Did the first test fit of my wings over the weekend so I could match drill the flaperon torque tubes and complete flight control hookup. To get enough space I had to haul everything out onto my gravel driveway. Finally got a day with no chance of rain and lots of neighbors available to help. I did use my new MM Fabrication one-man wing rigger to pull out one wing and move it around. The fuselage isn't on the gear yet and I need to dress the spars a bit (I think) so this wasn't a real test of how well the rigger functions. It did adjust and fit perfectly and made rotating the wing vertically and moving the wing (on compacted gravel) easy to do single-handed.

Attachments

• 20231028_135450-reduced.jpg
    20231028_135450-reduced.jpg
    813 KB · Views: 60
Back