What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ray Allen Trim and G407 Grip wiring?

Zazoos

Well Known Member
I have a Ray Allen Trim Servo with a G407F Grip.

The wiring schematic shows two white wires from the servo, plus ground wire, and 12v power wires . However, the G407F grip does not have a provision for 12v to the hat switch.

Here is my current layout:
Servo - Orange/White: connect to +5 V (pin 18 of EMS 220)
Servo - White/Blue: connect to to ground
Servo - White Green: connect to general input (pin 4 of EMS 220)
Servo - White to Grip 407 red wire
Servo - White to Grip 407 green wire

G407F - Black wire to ground
Power ?

Links to wiring diagrams:
http://www.rayallencompany.com/RACmedia/instructionsoldT2andT3.pdf
http://www.rayallencompany.com/RACmedia/instructionsG4.pdf
Your help is appreciated.

You're on the right track. The colored wires from the servo go to your position readout (looks like an EMS engine monitor in your case.)

The white wires are power. One is ground one is power. Obviously depending on which one you choose causes the servo to go up or down. Switching the white wire will reverse the direction. I labeled mine because it will get confusing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think with this model grip will need an REL-2 relay to work.

It might be a good idea to put all these connections in a terminal block so you can wire all this up easier and make changes if needed.

On the REL-2 relay:
Red wire = 12-14 VDC + (connects to power)
Blue wire = Servo power wire. Connect this blue wire to the red wire if no
speed control is used.
Black wire = Ground - (connect to ground and to stick black wire)
Orange wire = Connects to a momentary contact switch(s) to Ground - (connect the yellow wire on the grip and the other end to flaps or whatever function)
Green wire = Connects to. a momentary contact switch(s) to Ground - (connect the grey wire on your grip and the other end to flaps or whatever function)
White wire = Connects to the white servo power wire* (in your case both servo wire are white, and connect your grip Green #3 or Red #1)
Gray wire = Connects to the gray servo power wire* (in your case both servo wire are white, and connect your grip Green #3 or Red #1)

* NOTE: It is very important to test these wire connections to determine if
the servo(s) run in the direction that you desire. This direction can be
changed by reversing the white and gray wires that connect the servo to
the relay deck.
Basically wire the white power/ground wires to the servo and ground to the servo, then to the relay, and ultimately the grip.

I'd try it out on the bench first :)

Ray Allen might be able to walk you through it better than I did.

You're on the right track. The colored wires from the servo go to your position readout (looks like an EMS engine monitor in your case.)

The white wires are power. One is ground one is power. Obviously depending on which one you choose causes the servo to go up or down. Switching the white wire will reverse the direction. I labeled mine because it will get confusing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think with this model grip will need an REL-2 relay to work.

It might be a good idea to put all these connections in a terminal block so you can wire all this up easier and make changes if needed.

On the REL-2 relay:
Red wire = 12-14 VDC + (connects to power)
Blue wire = Servo power wire. Connect this blue wire to the red wire if no
speed control is used.
Black wire = Ground - (connect to ground and to stick black wire)
Orange wire = Connects to a momentary contact switch(s) to Ground - (connect the yellow wire on the grip and the other end to flaps or whatever function)
Green wire = Connects to. a momentary contact switch(s) to Ground - (connect the grey wire on your grip and the other end to flaps or whatever function)
White wire = Connects to the white servo power wire* (in your case both servo wire are white, and connect your grip Green #3 or Red #1)
Gray wire = Connects to the gray servo power wire* (in your case both servo wire are white, and connect your grip Green #3 or Red #1)

* NOTE: It is very important to test these wire connections to determine if
the servo(s) run in the direction that you desire. This direction can be
changed by reversing the white and gray wires that connect the servo to
the relay deck.
Basically wire the white power/ground wires to the servo and ground to the servo, then to the relay, and ultimately the grip.

I'd try it out on the bench first :)

Ray Allen might be able to walk you through it better than I did.

Thank you. Relay ordered.

Back