What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static System Draining

Well Known Member
My plan for installing the static system tubing was to bring the tubing from the starboard static port up over the top and down to the port static port, and then tap off the line between them to go forward to instrumentation. This would allow any water that enters the static ports on each side to drain back out the port rather than be retained in the tubing.

The other day I was looking around the tail cone of my Mooney 201, and saw the configuration in the attached image. I can't understand why they installed the tubing the way they did--it seems tailor made to get water into the static system. What you can't see in that picture is that there's another tee that goes down to the altitude encoder, which would be basically guaranteed to be wet if water got in the static tubing through the ports.

Any idea why they'd do this this way? I'm still sticking with my idea of tapping off the static tubing at a high point...somewhere around the area that I've highlighted, or preferably higher.

Attachments

• Mooney static-mu.png
    Mooney static-mu.png
    622.5 KB · Views: 183
My plan for installing the static system tubing was to bring the tubing from the starboard static port up over the top and down to the port static port, and then tap off the line between them to go forward to instrumentation. This would allow any water that enters the static ports on each side to drain back out the port rather than be retained in the tubing.

The other day I was looking around the tail cone of my Mooney 201, and saw the configuration in the attached image. I can't understand why they installed the tubing the way they did--it seems tailor made to get water into the static system. What you can't see in that picture is that there's another tee that goes down to the altitude encoder, which would be basically guaranteed to be wet if water got in the static tubing through the ports.

Any idea why they'd do this this way? I'm still sticking with my idea of tapping off the static tubing at a high point...somewhere around the area that I've highlighted, or preferably higher.

I can't say why your Mooney is setup the way it is other than a mistake.
Your planned way is the standard way of connecting the static line for all RVs.

It was. A Service Bulletin (can't remember the number) moved the tee to the high point in the line between the static ports.

Well, darn it, I just had an SAT done last month. Don't want to open up the static system again.

Last edited:
Was as Service Instruction, not an SB. Managed to find it.

http://www.mooney201.de/files/sim20-43.pdf

Old config was very good at letting water in. Many times not a problem as the leaky-a$$ quick drains let the water out; as well as air in/out of your static system.

http://https://www.mooney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/SBM20-167.pdf

After I moved the branch on mine, I bypassed the quick drain. Never again a problem.
Still miss mine though during my forever build.

Thanks for taking the effort to look that up!

Back