What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignition Wiring

Bootscooter

HI All,

Wondering if someone could help out with a reference for where it spells out that igntion wiring should be separated with standoffs for EMF reasons. I have gone through AC43.13 and various manufacturers installation manuals but no luck.

I know it is recommended but I am specifically looking for a reference for this.
Any help appreciated.
Tks.

Chad - more info needed as to ignition system & wiring type. Generally, from memory, you don't need to separate them at all except for the black leads supplied with earlier Electronic ignition systems. No need for separation with slick or Bendix mags either. ;)

Not old wife's tales, probably more like old guy's tales, or just best practices.
-Spark plug leads don't need separating but look prettier if they are.
-Mag P-leads don't need separation from other wires if the leads are shielded.
-Electronic Ignition wiring and engine sensor wiring should be separated from high current cables such as Alt B leads and Starter cables and never bundled with spark plug leads.
-Antenna coax cables should be run separate from other wiring harnesses.
Some of these practices may not be required but maybe best done to prevent the possibility of RF interference (& the pain of trouble shooting it later).

The P-Mag installation doc says to separate spark plug wires. Standard mag harnesses are typically shielded and do not require separation.

Back